Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

'03 FLHRI Cruise - Handlebar Switch/Light Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 07:14 PM
dfairleigh11
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '03 FLHRI Cruise - Handlebar Switch/Light Wiring

Hi all, new member but long time reader - I'm adding cruise to an '03 FLHRI, got all the pieces individually via eBay or through dealers, and I cannot figure out for the life of me how the red and green status lights in the handlebar controls wire in - and being an '03, there is no cruise light on the speedo, so these need to work to know if stuff is on/set. I've got one red 12v LED for the left hand (the only part I absolutely could NOT find, anywhere, period) and the OEM green light for the right hand. I've got the wiring diagrams for all the '03 touring models. My other H-D is a 2003 FLTRI, but it's cruise wiring is quite different from the King, obviously, so I don't think I can really use it for reference. All of the voltages referenced are with the ignition on, but bike not running.

The Red LED for the left side doesn't have any wires (it's from a local shop), and I've been running off the assumption that it would get +12v off the ground wire when the switch is on, and continue to GND past the light, but I checked pin voltage and the Green/red wire in the headlight housing is showing all of 9.4mV...nowhere near enough to power that light. The On/Off switch doesn't even match the diagram - it's got Red/green, but instead of Black, it's got Orange/white! P/N is 71752-08, not a superseded part, at least that I'm aware of. I know electricity doesn't care what color the wires are, but it certainly doesn't help simplify things.

As for the right side - the green light has Orange/white and Green/red wires, about 6" long - I know Orange/white is typically +12v, so I'd assume that it ties to the existing +12v in the switch housing, and the light gets it's 12v power from that - but how does that light know when to come on and go off? I thought 12v might come from the Orange/white (this is superseded P/N 71788-08 and would otherwise be Green/red) that connects to the Green/red in the headlight housing (which electrical diagrams show as connecting to J. SET LIGHT on the module, but that pin in the headlight housing only shows the same 9.4mV that the rest of the pins (Wh/Blu & Blu/Blk) show.

I have never seen a wiring diagram with the lights included - only the switches. If anybody has one, that would probably help!

Otherwise, am I missing something totally obvious, or is this really that screwey?

Old 04-10-2015, 07:32 PM
dfairleigh11
Stage IV

Anybody?

Old 04-10-2015, 08:17 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

OK where did you get your LEDs? And are you sure they are 12v.
Do you have the cruise working and just wiring the lights?
Do the led mount in the cruse control housing?

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 04-10-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:55 PM
dfairleigh11
Stage IV

One light (the green set light) is the HD OEM light, the other is a 12v that I picked up from a local electronics shop and it lights up with 12v no problem. The switches are getting added the the bike this weekend; I should know after that if it works without lights. Both lights are in the switch housings, where the audio switches are for the FLTR/FLHT. IIRC they were only like that for 02 and 03, then the "set" indicator moved to the speedo and there was no on/off light at all for 04-onwards.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:32 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

LEDs are 2-3 volts. You can add resistors to them to jump the voltage up to anything that you want, 5,9 and 12 are common. They come in different sizes, 3,5 10mm and different intencity, MCD. For dash lights you do not want them very bright.
The 9v might get the one you have to burn but might be be pretty dim on that voltage. It is important to wire them properly the long leg is hot, short neg. They are diods so if you get them backwards they will not burn.
I add my own relays use this chart.
http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz
Or you can get them pre wired, these would be a little bright.
.http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...134751&alt=web
What do the LEDs look like, are the round tops, clear and burn the color you want?

Old 06-22-2015, 12:28 PM
dfairleigh11
Stage IV
Thumbs up

So just in case anybody happens to browse this thread, I thought I'd post the final solution I found, along with all the part numbers and cost:

The wiring, while it looks straightforward, is very much NOT. After getting a copy of the Harley 2003 FLT Service Manual, with it's intricate and incredibly detailed troubleshooting guides, I was able to determine that the problem was that there were several things out of order that were keeping the system from working:

First, in the left controls, there were two wires coming off the on/off switch, both about 36" in length - orange/white and red/green. How I initially wired things was red/green to red/green and orange/white to black in pins 1 & 4 the gray Deutsch in the headlamp housing. The red LED was not wired in at all. What occurred to me during testing was that that config meant that the +12v needed at the on/off switch was never present, since that wire was going to frame ground (per the wiring diagrams). So I clipped the wire in the hand control box about 3" from the switch, spliced the short part to the existing +12v for the turn signal switch, and voila, now red/green at the cruise module (pin A, IIRC) was getting +12v to signal the module that the system should power on. The cruise module provides ground for the red/green from the on/off switch.
The red LED was one from a local electronics shop that was nearly identical to the factory one, but had no wires, so I soldered on a couple of wires. The ground wire got spliced to the remaining orange/white wire going down to the black (pin 4) wire in the headlight housing, giving ground to the light, and the + wire was spliced into the red/green coming from the ON side of the on/off switch, so +12v would be present only when the switch was on. At this point I ran through the tests in the HD service manual and everything tested correctly.

Right Hand was similar. There were three wires, each about 36" - white/blue, blue/black, and orange/white - again, initially wired white/blue to white/blue, blue/black to blue/black, and orange/white to green/red in the headlight housing, which again, meant that no +12v was getting to the Set/Resume switch. Again, the light (orange/white and green/red) was not initially wired. Did the same as the left side and clipped the orange/white about 3" from the switch, and this time spliced it and the orange/white from the green light to the existing orange/white from the right turn signal, and then the green/red from the light was spliced to the remainder of the orange white, which joined to the green/red in the black Deutsch connector in the headlight housing. This setup provided constant 12v to the light - but again, from the manual, the module only grounds that wire when the system engages. The constant 12v provided to the switch also made it so that when I pushed the switch to set or resume that 12v was relayed to the module to signal that it was being pushed.

With everything put back together, I finished the final piece, putting the "Jesus" clip onto the cruise cable and bracket to the right of the throttle body - wasn't AS hard as I'd heard, just some long needle-nose pliers to pull the cable sheath tight to the bracket, pull on the cable end to keep it tight, and be VERY careful to not lose the little 6mm circlip. Once it's on a little bit, just push it on the rest of the way with the pliers and voila, it's on.

Finally it was time to do the REAL test - initialization. Do everything in order per the manual, just counting for how long the light should be on (see below), and after a couple of seconds, the RPM increases, and initialization is done and I'm privately celebrating. Haven't gotten to test ride it yet, but I have no reason to think it won't work.

When I was reassembling the upper and lower housing halves, I managed to pinch the green/red from the green light enough to break the insulation and ground it out on the handlebar, so the light is always on for now, but that'll get fixed soon enough.

Parts:
70375-96 BRACKET, SWITCH, LOWER RIGHT 1 $6.76
70373-96 BRACKET, SWITCH, LOWER LEFT 1 $3.93
71183-02 LENS, CRUISE CONTROL (RIGHT) 1 $8.52
N/A 12v 8mm Red LED 1 $6.12
71595-96 HOUSING, LOWER - RIGHT 1 $37.88
71825-96A ****, CRUISE CONTROL, SET/RESUME 1 $6.48
70955-98B MODULE, CRUISE CONTROL 1 $119.99
71788-08 SWITCH, CRUISE CONTROL, SET/RESUME 1 $55.90
71594-98 HOUSING, LOWER - LEFT 1 $16.03
11193 RETAINING RING 1 $2.59
11497 GROMMET 3 $18.06
71186-02 LAMP ASSEMBLY (GREEN) 1 $12.43
71184-02 LENS, CRUISE CONTROL (LEFT) 1 $10.88
71752-08 SWITCH, CRUISE - ON/OFF 1 $52.47
71828-02 ****, CRUISE -ON/OFF 1 $8.85
N/A 4 PIN DEUTSCH CONNECTOR, BLACK 1 $8.25
N/A 4 PIN DEUTSCH CONNECTOR, GRAY 1 $9.69

Total cost - just short of $370. But hey, it works! And the other half will be VERY happy when she doesn't have to go a few hundred miles gripping a throttle.