Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Electrical/Lighting/Alarm (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/electrical-lighting-alarm-43/)
-   -   No constant Hotwire (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/electrical-lighting-alarm/1036209-no-constant-hotwire.html)

star2nv 03-28-2015 05:09 PM

No constant Hotwire

I have 2005 deluxe I cannot find a constant hot wire when the ignition is in the off position. I have tried the orange and white wire that is under the seat and I get nothing. I've already checked the fuse the fuse is good is there a relay or something else I should be looking at. the thing is when I set the clock on my speedometer and shut the bike off it keeps time.what am I missing here

Harleycruiser 03-28-2015 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by star2nv (Post 13858446)
I have 2005 deluxe I cannot find a constant hot wire when the ignition is in the off position. I have tried the orange and white wire that is under the seat and I get nothing. I've already checked the fuse the fuse is good is there a relay or something else I should be looking at. the thing is when I set the clock on my speedometer and shut the bike off it keeps time.what am I missing here

You can get that on your main breaker in front of the rear tire (I believe on your bike) or off your ignition switch batt terminal.

star2nv 03-28-2015 05:30 PM

Let me explain a little bit about what I'm doing see if that will work for me I'm hooking up an aftermarket fairing Andstereo everything works fine but I can't find a constant hot to maintain the memory and clock on the stereo I could hook both wires to the battery but then I would have to turn the stereo off by hand instead of it shutting off when the ignition is turned off

Smokey Stover 03-28-2015 05:41 PM

Unless your HU has a seperate lead for the clock I don't see any other choce. If it does hook it to the battery and the main to the IGN. Or wait for a better answer from someone that knows a lot more than me. What Model Bike and Radio would help, The Audio forum has a few resident experts

star2nv 03-28-2015 05:43 PM

yeah I posted over in there too didn't know which one would get more people to see it.

Smokey Stover 03-28-2015 05:49 PM

Ok reread your OP you've got an 05 Delux and I see you said "both" wires does that mean you have 2 hot leads into the Head Unit? I'm sure someone will be along shorty with a good/correct answer.

star2nv 03-28-2015 06:29 PM

Well I got the red hot lead that goes to the battery then I got the blacknegative lead thAt goes to the battery then there is a yellow that keeps the clock time correct in the memory correct on the radio when you shut the ignition off everywhere I looked I can't find power to hook that up

star2nv 03-28-2015 06:31 PM

when I say both wires I mean the yellow and the red to the battery but if I do that then the stereo will not shut off when the ignition is turned off I will have to turn it off manually every time

Harleycruiser 03-28-2015 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by star2nv (Post 13858497)
Let me explain a little bit about what I'm doing see if that will work for me I'm hooking up an aftermarket fairing Andstereo everything works fine but I can't find a constant hot to maintain the memory and clock on the stereo I could hook both wires to the battery but then I would have to turn the stereo off by hand instead of it shutting off when the ignition is turned off

Well then you need two wires, a hot all the time and a wire off the accessories.
Like I said off the main breaker load side is best for hot always.
Then look at you skematic for a wire on the accessory side of the ignition switch close to where you are hooking up.

star2nv 03-28-2015 07:09 PM

ok let me ask a question can anyone go out to their bike for me and hit the brakes with the ignition off and see if the brake light comes on