Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Run/Off switch powers up bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 03:31 PM
jcmoran1
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run/Off switch powers up bike

2005 FLSTC.

When I switch the run/off switch to run, all power comes on and I'm able to start the bike regardless of the position of the ignition switch. I can do the same thing at the ignition switch.
When everything is off, and I press the start switch, I can hear the starter relay clicking.
When the bike is running, and I flip the ignition switch to off, it continues to run. Then, I reach up and flip the Run/Off switch to off, and the bike continues to run.
To get the bike to stop running, I have to turn off the fuel to the carb and let it eventually die.
Any thoughts?

John

Old 08-28-2015, 04:15 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Did this problem just occour, or did this problem show up after something was worked on?

Are there any modifications to the electrical system?

Are the lights on all the time, no matter what position the ignition switch is in?

Have you got a voltmeter, do you know how to use one? A 10 dollar cheapie will work fine...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 08-28-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:30 PM
jcmoran1
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It did just occur. There were several modifications made to the electrical system before I got my hands on it, such as a new stereo and a few other things. the stereo doesn't seem to be a factor in this problem. It only comes on when I turn the ignition switch to ignition.

I do have electrical test equipment and I'm trying to figure out why the run stop switch has battery voltage that powers everything up.

I have a feeling that once I isolate the run off switch everything will be normal again, but its just the feeling and I haven't proven it yet.

The lights only come on when I turn the ignition switch to ignition or if I turn the run off switch to run.

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Did this problem just occour, or did this problem show up after something was worked on?

Are there any modifications to the electrical system?

Are the lights on all the time, no matter what position the ignition switch is in?

Have you got a voltmeter, do you know how to use one? A 10 dollar cheapie will work fine...

Old 08-28-2015, 07:19 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Check for voltage at the fuses while the ignition switch is turned off.

The only fuse that should show system voltage is the battery fuse.

When the switch is in the accessory position, the only fuses that should be powered are the accessory fuse and the battery fuse.

When the switch is in the ignition position, all fuses should be powered.