Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Battery/Eng Lights need help diagnosing

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 09:07 PM
vicsponjr
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Battery/Eng Lights need help diagnosing

I have a 2008 Ultra. The Battery and Engine Lights came on the other day. I checked the code but didn't write it down. I believe it was low voltage?
The battery was replaced a few months ago and I keep it on the tender.

I checked the battery with a cheap HF volt meter and it said 12.6. When I started the bike and revved the eng it stayed at 12.6. I figured it was the stator. I checked the stator leads at idle and I am getting around 20 volts. I checked the stator leads to make sure they were not grounded but the crappy meter was not working for ohms test. After trying two new 9 volts I gave up and bought a new digital meter at Home Depot. The ohms test showed no continuity between the 3 stator wires. Before going any further I decided to check the battery with the new meter and it read 13.6 volts?? I checked the meter on another battery in the garage and it read 12.6.
I then checked for voltage at the stator side of the regulator with the meter grounded to the engine and got 12.6 volts at each of the 3 stator posts on the regulator. I read the diagnostic sticky and if
I understand it correctly there should be no voltage there, correct?
Next I tried the diode test on the regulator. The only time I got a reading was with the neg lead from the meter to the pos socket of the charge side of the regulator. 360 at all 3 stator posts. No readings at all with the other 3 combinations.

Does this sound like a bad regulator and if so will I be able to get a couple more months out of the stator without burning up the new regulator? I plan on replacing the compensator but not till the weather starts getting crappy.