Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

speedo quits. no codes shown

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 08:34 AM
foxhd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedo quits. no codes shown

I've started to have an issue where the bike seems a little sluggish. Then the speedo stops working. Odometer reading stays on and doesn't change accrued mileage. I check the codes and the first time it said that the front and rear brake switch was "open." I cleared it and those codes haven't come back. Now when it happens, no codes show up. They all say "none." It may be just a loose connection. But I'd like some advice before removing fairing and looking. Bike is 2009 streetglide with 25K on it. Thanks.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:54 PM
rjsimmons
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

When you say that the Odometer stays on, do you mean it freezes in place? If this is the case, then your most likely cause is the Voltage Regulator is in it's death throes.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:03 AM
foxhd
Cruiser

I went for a hundred mile ride yesterday. No issues. Just upon returning home, bike kind of stumbled and almost stalled. Speedometer quit and odometer stayed at 104.7 miles. Bike stalled at stop sign but restarted. Speedo and odo still didn't work. At home I checked codes and all said none.

This is about the fourth time and all episodes happened when approaching my neighborhood. Lack of comments leads me to a new thought that a ground must be loose.

While on the open road it runs flawlessly. As I get close to home I need to stop at a couple traffic lights. The engine is plenty warm and it goes into the single cylinder firing mode. With this comes more engine vibrating. Perhaps it accentuates a loose connection somewhere. There is no code because it is not a failure in the computer systems but more as if a fuse was pulled. Now the long process of checking all the wiring to look for a ground fault.

Is this sound reasoning? Thanks......one thing I know for sure is that if I ever get another bike, it will be a pre-computer non fuel injection model. I don't like the helpless feeling of not being able to fix things like in the old days.

2009 streetglide. 25K miles. Been riding for over 45 years.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:08 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

<p>Check your vehicle speed sensor for contamination. It's a little black thing with a wire coming out of it attached to the top of your transmission, usually on the trap door side of the trans.</p>

Old 09-18-2015, 10:08 AM
foxhd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rjsimmons
When you say that the Odometer stays on, do you mean it freezes in place? If this is the case, then your most likely cause is the Voltage Regulator is in it's death throes.
There are no changes in voltage according to the gauge. Wouldn't performance, lights, or radio or some other system also be affected if it was the voltage regulator?

Old 09-18-2015, 10:12 AM
foxhd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by QC
<p>Check your vehicle speed sensor for contamination. It's a little black thing with a wire coming out of it attached to the top of your transmission, usually on the trap door side of the trans.</p>
Thanks. I will check that first.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:21 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,343 Likes on 3,278 Posts

I would replace the speed sensor instead of checking it. Specially if you go through the trouble of taking it off...