Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Press Start, hear pop, no start, voltage drop

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 08:10 PM
Blue Duck
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Press Start, hear pop, no start, voltage drop

Bike ran fine a week ago. (Bike is a 2010 flhtk with 30k miles and no problems til now). Took bike out a week later. Tried to start and heard a pop. After pop heard lots of chatter. Next day I looked into problem and here is what is happening:

I put a volt meter on battery after charging the battery. charged to 13 volts. Put back in bike, check voltage and at 12.8 volts, turned on main switch and run/stop button and pressed starter button and hear a pop after which lighting relay chatters. Pulled lighting relay and System relay chatters.
Notice on volt meter voltage drops from 12.8 to around 5 volts. Turn main switch off and voltage climbs slowly. Once voltage gets to 12 volts I can turn on main switch and run switch and all lights work, fuel pump come on, turn signals, horn,
radio, etc... all work .Once I hit start switch I get a pop ( which I traced to starter. Sounds like it is stuck) and the symptons start over again. Ie..voltage drops to 5v and lighting relay chatters. I remove it and system relay chatters. I remove it and once voltage climbs to 12v all electrical works. I get a code of p1003. I replaced the starter, system, and lighting relay since they were inexpensive but same problem. All battery connections look tight. Battery is about 2.5 years old, never tendered, and has shown signs in the past of slow starts but eventually cranks. Before I throw real money at it I am wonndering if this is a starter issue or a bad battery that shows when I hit the start button and the starter pops like it can't turn or something else. (Had my hand on starter when pressing start button and it acts like it is locked or can't turn.). I did add chrome switch housings and 12" apes and extended wiring but that was 3 years ago and never had a problem in over 25,000 miles. Every thing I read is possible bad battery but want to get opinion of experts here first. the relays were inexpensive to replace but want to make sure before throwing parts at it. Since battery is over 2 years old and never tendered I plan to get a new one but wondering if it could possibly be something else. Bike has been flawless otherwise.

thanks for any help

Duck

Old 09-24-2015, 11:44 AM
Garrman
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Duck,

Charge up the battery (needs to be 100%)and bring it down to your local auto parts store for a load test. That will tell you if it needs replacing or not.

Good luck.

Garrman

Old 09-24-2015, 04:00 PM
Blue Duck
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update!!

Bought a new Duracel battery.

Thanks for responses.