Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

06 ultra classic electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 01:40 PM
Tankcrewman93
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 ultra classic electrical problems

Here it goes. I have a 2006 Electra glide ultra classic with 35000 miles. I recently replaced the battery and voltage regulator. Before that, the volt gauge was jumping around from not charging to overcharging. My radio would also go in and out. Checked a few shops and was told it was more than likely the stator and regulator. I was financially inclined to do the work myself and learn a thing or two in the process. Since I've replaced the battery and regulator, the volts haven't jumped around but they aren't where they need to be. They stay at a constant 11.5. I revved up the bike and the gauge didn't move. So I took it around the block and it still didn't move. I was only doing about 15-20 mph though. I was told by a friend to ride it for about 35 miles to get the new battery and regulator broke in but I'm afraid of frying them. I don't think its the stator but I'm also not an expert. Has anyone had similar symptoms? I was told it could be a code was thrown off as well. Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Old 10-17-2016, 07:51 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Check for AC voltage at stator with a digital voltage meter..yes AC voltage.
Or at the minimum get a digital voltage meter and place on battery posts.
With bike on side stand.
Report voltage at battery posts with everything OFF, then voltage while cranking, Then voltage above idle like 1,500 to 2,000 RPM and give us those numbers.
The gauge in your dash is NOT accurate..none of the factory voltage gauges are accurate.
The dash gauge is basically to tell you that you have some voltage.
The radio going in and out is difficult to understand....volume up/down or off and on.
A loose battery cable (check both ends of each cable) could present as similar.
A loose ground cable in the fairing could cause radio problems too.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:02 PM
Tankcrewman93
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill check that out. The radio really threw me off. I guess its trying to save power maybe but the bike didn't really show any signs of problems with getting electricity. The battery would never swell when it was over charging and all the lights worked just fine. I never had a problem with it starting either. Thank you for your input.