Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

No Spark To Plugs..

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 06:12 PM
crestwood
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Spark To Plugs..

Ive just picked up a nice 2001 Softail Custom 10K Miles. It hasn't run in 5 years or more. Im trying to get it to fire off. Pulled the plugs and no spark at the plug when lying against the jug. I tried it with another plug with the original back in thinking it was the compression sensor. No luck. I installed a new ignition module.. yep still no luck. Forums are leading me to the BAS and the CPS. I don't want to be a parts changer and start throwing money at this thing. as you know no electrical part is returnable...I installed a new battery also. There is no security system but when I turn the key the lights flash fast like my 14 ultra. The old owner says there is no fob. How can I check the Bank Angle sensor and the crank position sensor? Or it is something slapping me in the face I don't see yet. I have a multi meter and troubleshooting ability. Thank you .

Old 03-06-2017, 09:29 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by crestwood
Ive just picked up a nice 2001 Softail Custom 10K Miles. It hasn't run in 5 years or more. Im trying to get it to fire off. Pulled the plugs and no spark at the plug when lying against the jug. I tried it with another plug with the original back in thinking it was the compression sensor. No luck. I installed a new ignition module.. yep still no luck. Forums are leading me to the BAS and the CPS. I don't want to be a parts changer and start throwing money at this thing. as you know no electrical part is returnable...I installed a new battery also. There is no security system but when I turn the key the lights flash fast like my 14 ultra. The old owner says there is no fob. How can I check the Bank Angle sensor and the crank position sensor? Or it is something slapping me in the face I don't see yet. I have a multi meter and troubleshooting ability. Thank you .
Start with the simple stuff. I assume you changed the spark plugs first. Check the spark plug wires, there's a resistance spec in the manual. Although the BAS and CPS are good candidates, I'd use that multi meter first.

Go through the ignition circuit starting at the battery and working your way to the spark plugs. Take a good look at the ignition switch, kill switch and coil. There are coil primary and secondary resistance specs in the manual, or someone will provide them here.

If everything looks good, then look at the BAS and CPS.

The following users liked this post:
crestwood (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 10:42 AM
ranchodeluxe
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Ck sensor is just a small ac generator and you should see an ac signal if you hook your VOM across the two wires and crank the bike.

The following users liked this post:
crestwood (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 08:02 PM
crestwood
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no Spark...

Im about to drag this bike out to the back yard and use it for target practice next to my sons fake deer... plugs are good, new coil.. tested a working ignition module from another working bike, grounded out pin 10 on the TSSM. Checked spark plugs on another motor. Spent 29 dollars for useless information on another tech support site. Any other ideas before I fill this bike full of lead??? Are there any qualified mechanics that will make a house call in Massachusetts. If this bike goes in the back of my van one more time its going back to the original owner who said pay me after its running. HEEELLLLLPPPPPP

Old 03-06-2017, 10:41 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,289 Likes on 1,904 Posts
Old 03-07-2017, 06:19 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,289 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by crestwood
Im about to drag this bike out to the back yard and use it for target practice next to my sons fake deer... plugs are good, new coil.. tested a working ignition module from another working bike, grounded out pin 10 on the TSSM. Checked spark plugs on another motor. Spent 29 dollars for useless information on another tech support site. Any other ideas before I fill this bike full of lead??? Are there any qualified mechanics that will make a house call in Massachusetts. If this bike goes in the back of my van one more time its going back to the original owner who said pay me after its running. HEEELLLLLPPPPPP
This is a carbureted not EFI Bike? Why are you grounding pin 10 on the TSSM? Open the link and on the left click on the first "2001 All Cabureted Softail...." that should open Main Harness sheet 1 of 9. On some older bikes the turn signals would flash 6 times when you turn the key on indicating a DTC is stored.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....-af747dddd469#

Last edited by Vernal; 03-07-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:07 AM
Shootermwc
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you ever find the solution? I'm running into a similar issue myself and hoping for some direction. I've checked everything, except for what's causing the problem, obviously.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:58 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

If you have a TSSM there is a security module. Check the PN on the TSSM/TSM to see which part it is. If you have a TSSM I would bet your issue is there as it will disable the ignition. You said the lights flash when the ignition is turned on which indicates the alarm is tripped.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:59 PM
chief08
Road Master
Received 208 Likes on 105 Posts

if the alarm is tripped it won't even crank over

Old 02-07-2019, 10:15 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Did the OP ever get his bike running?

Quick Reply: No Spark To Plugs..