Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

07 Wide Glide battery connection?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 05:16 PM
Repoman0326
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Wide Glide battery connection?

Was out riding on my first long ride after buying a new battery. After a couple hours my bike starting bogging down when I gave it throttle. Parked it and the next day it kept doing it and sometimes died. Always started up and idled fine. Figured it was bad fuel so I drained the tank and filled with new fuel. Went to start it and smoke was coming from the positive terminal on the battery. When I looked closer the terminal was melted and in bad shape. I changed out the battery and rode it to the gas station to fill it all the way up. It rode just fine there. After I started it back up and was bogging again for a few minutes but went away and was fine again. I rode it home and it did it one more time shortly. I went in and made sure to tighten the connection and make sure it wasn't smoking and melting. I did make sure there was no sparks on the negative when I was hooking it up, which I was told is a sign of there is a short somewhere. Anybody have any input? Is it possible that my bike is "shaking" the connection loose on the positive terminal?

Old 05-19-2017, 08:37 PM
Repoman0326
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So instead of bailing on this post to save face, ill put my simple fix on here in case anybody else has an airhead moment like me.

I didn't put the spacers on the battery terminal for the side mount. I put them on and just rode for about a half hour with no issues.