Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Harley garage door opener kit w/ chamberlain or LiftMaster myq openers fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 11:00 AM
sportglide
Cruiser
Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts
Default brilliant and simple

Originally Posted by gennacide
If you have this wall unit then you are in the same situation.

I just installed my harley garage door opener kit (flash your brights to open your garage) and it was kind of a pain and the instructions really sucked as usual.

After getting it all set up and working, I come to find out that my garage door opener doesn't work with standard door bell style wall mounted opener buttons. They myQ fancy one with the wifi and digital display can only be opened by their fancy wall opener.

So so I wasn't going to give up after doing all that wiring on my bike and paying $140. Side note, in my opinion for $140 it shouldn't need a damn receiver unit. You should just be able to program it to your garage door.

The general idea idea was to solder it to a regular clicker. When you flash your brights it sends a signal to the receiver unit that you have to plug into the wall and the receiver unit closes the circuit to the garage door opener just like manually pushing the button.

So so here are some pictures on how to do that.
I wish my garage door install guy was smart enough to figure this out.

The following users liked this post:
Walt.F (01-25-2019)
Old 01-29-2018, 06:50 PM
SCVipermad
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worked like a charm! Old garage opener died a sad death....new Chamberlain, with battery back up and all sorts of bells and whistles, for her. All I want is for my cool "flash the high beams and door opens" gadget back. Took longer for the soldering iron to heat up! LOL Thank you.

Walt.F (01-25-2019)
Old 07-29-2018, 09:42 PM
Stingray702
Road Master
Received 486 Likes on 240 Posts

ok.. I have the same unit...So I have to rip the unit off the wall? Solder it to the actual unit that hangs on the wall? Why aren't there ever any clear directions for this stuff?

Old 07-30-2018, 08:01 PM
Stingray702
Road Master

so this is the unit I have..I can't figure out how to get this thing off the wall. Do I need to take it off and solder those wires? I can't even find out what model this wall mount is. It's driving me nuts.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:27 AM
Crotonrz
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Gennacide, that is fantastic. I am from a dealership, and while we would likely all admit that our garage door opener system is stuck in 2003, it had never occurred to me to wire it to a remote instead of trying to find something in the unit. We will seriously be making some calls today to sell these to people who we previously didn't know how to make this work for, including CVO customers who get it pre-wired in the bike, and almost completely useless to most of them.

Thanks again.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:34 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

I have been doing this to all my ride for the last 10 years just wire your remote to a water proof marine switch hide the remote in the fairing. On my current ride i use my phone and have a remote Velcroed to my fairing its a lot easier a lot less work.

sportglide (08-01-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 03:00 PM
Stingray702
Road Master

so I plugged the Harley transmitter into the main unit. I synced the headlights..it works sometimes and then it doesn't work sometimes..I can't help but wonder why Harley doesn't haver a better system, but then, that's a real stupid question. Real stupid people run the company..so I guess my opener will work when it feels like it.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:06 PM
sportglide
Cruiser
Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray702
so I plugged the Harley transmitter into the main unit. I synced the headlights..it works sometimes and then it doesn't work sometimes..I can't help but wonder why Harley doesn't haver a better system, but then, that's a real stupid question. Real stupid people run the company..so I guess my opener will work when it feels like it.
it has to do with one of two things - your distance from the receiver and or how quickly you flash the lights. practice a few times and you will notice it likes to be clicked just so.

Stingray702 (08-03-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 07:17 AM
Geary Thomas
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I did the back solder trick, and then re-wired the relay on the aux switch harness to give me contact closure instead of voltage.. neat !

Old 01-15-2019, 11:11 AM
spepin
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

If you aren't able (or willing) to break out the soldering iron, or use up your visor remote for this modification, check out the modules at www.CreativeAccessSolutions.com -- there are both wired and wireless modules that plug directly into the Harley receiver. The trouble with the newer openers is that they are no longer compatible with dry contact (relay output) controls. Now, they have 12VDC across the wires that the HD receiver is supposed to connect to, and they communicate with the wall control via serial data. When you hook the HD receiver up directly to the wires and activate it, you're shorting out the DC voltage on the line. The opener is designed to be able to withstand the short circuit that this causes, but it's not good for the relay contacts and circuit traces inside the receiver. The interface modules take the relay output from the HD receiver and translate it to the serial data that the opener expects to see.

Quick Reply: Harley garage door opener kit w/ chamberlain or LiftMaster myq openers fix