Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Harley garage door opener kit w/ chamberlain or LiftMaster myq openers fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 03:45 PM
gennacide
Stage II
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Harley garage door opener kit w/ chamberlain or LiftMaster myq openers fix

If you have this wall unit then you are in the same situation.

I just installed my harley garage door opener kit (flash your brights to open your garage) and it was kind of a pain and the instructions really sucked as usual.

After getting it all set up and working, I come to find out that my garage door opener doesn't work with standard door bell style wall mounted opener buttons. They myQ fancy one with the wifi and digital display can only be opened by their fancy wall opener.

So so I wasn't going to give up after doing all that wiring on my bike and paying $140. Side note, in my opinion for $140 it shouldn't need a damn receiver unit. You should just be able to program it to your garage door.

The general idea idea was to solder it to a regular clicker. When you flash your brights it sends a signal to the receiver unit that you have to plug into the wall and the receiver unit closes the circuit to the garage door opener just like manually pushing the button.

So so here are some pictures on how to do that.

The following 3 users liked this post by gennacide:
Crotonrz (07-31-2018), Grouser62 (05-03-2021), sportglide (01-14-2018)
Old 05-27-2017, 03:52 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

I just bought a spare remote control and velcro it to the back of my windshield crossbar. Pull in the driveway push the button, door opens. $15 and no wiring necessary

Old 05-27-2017, 05:25 PM
gennacide
Stage II
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by golfblues
I just bought a spare remote control and velcro it to the back of my windshield crossbar. Pull in the driveway push the button, door opens. $15 and no wiring necessary
i have no bags or windshield.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:16 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm sure you could stick it under the tank with some 3M tape or somewhere on your bike where you could reach it and open your door

Old 05-31-2017, 02:44 PM
TXWarthog
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Outside the box idea: Buy a used Homelink transmitter (any vehicle) from either a junkyard or Ebay. Hard wire to your 12v, and program it to your garage.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:34 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

My $12 solution. It could probably be hidden with some 3M double-sided outdoor tape under the tank or elsewhere. I just have it velcroed and if I parked the bike I could just pull it right off and put it in my pocket

Attached Thumbnails Harley garage door opener kit w/ chamberlain or LiftMaster myq openers fix-1496262779815.jpg  
Old 05-31-2017, 03:38 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,246 Likes on 11,135 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
except mine is mounted to the inside of the lower fairing door. Easy peasy...

Old 11-30-2017, 03:12 PM
Pastorfreel
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to thank gennacide for the pictures and the post. I had traded my Ultra Classic for the 2018 CVO Street Glide. In the past, I simply put the remote for the garage door opener in the windshield bag of the Ultra. With the Street Glide, I purchased the HD garage door opener kit. I was frustrated that I could not get it to work with the Liftmaster (Chamberlain) garage door opener. I reached out to Chamberlain and I received the email back informing me they don't support the HD garage door opener. I also called the company who installed the garage door and opener and they were unable to help. So...I began watching Youtube videos and then I came across this forum and found many different threads relating to my problem. I found this option to be the best for me and IT WORKED! I did my happy dance...rode for several miles...then tried it again to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Sure enough...The garage door opened as it was supposed to! Thank you for this post and the others that I read.

Phil

The following users liked this post:
sportglide (01-14-2018)
Old 11-30-2017, 03:15 PM
jeff53404
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
except mine is mounted to the inside of the lower fairing door. Easy peasy...
I put mine in the jukebox by the usb cable.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:24 AM
rgregory
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used gennacide's technique yesterday, worked great. The only thing I did different was soldier the wires from the receiver to the back of the remote circuit board instead of the front of the button and I was able to fit the remote circuit board inside of the the HD receiver. I'll just have to change the battery every few years.

The following users liked this post:
sportglide (01-14-2018)

Quick Reply: Harley garage door opener kit w/ chamberlain or LiftMaster myq openers fix