Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Electrical Issue with Alarm...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 12:12 PM
rgrecco
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I give up... She did some more odd things yesterday morning...

She started right up great and I went to take off and noticed the SECURITY KEY was lit up like the fob wasn't around despite being in my pocket. I tried the turn signals and they didn't work as I was riding down the road. So I pull over and turn the ignition off to attempt to see if restarting the bike would fix the problem... Well... With the ignition OFF the radio stayed on... I turned the ignition back on and she started right up... Key light went off... and Turn signals worked... She was running great... I got to work and turned the ignition off and the radio turned off (and wouldn't power on with the ignition off)...

Went to start her up and she started idling at 2k... Killed it and preformed a "throttle reset" and she was fine again...

So... She's going to the local Indy shop (Classic Iron of Fredericksburg) on the 25th for an "Electrical Gremlin" and I'm gonna have them do a once over on the whole bike to make sure **** is good when I get her back...

I'm sad about this, but, I still got a hell of a deal on her even if it costs me a K to fix her up...

I don't believe it was sold to me with a known problem... I think it getting some ride time after 4 years of sitting in a garage in one position might have something to do with it... My hope is its a simple pinched wire or crossed wire that the tech's can track down rather "quickly" and it won't cost a fortune to take care of...

Wish Me Luck!

Hopefully they find this guy

RON

Old 09-20-2017, 04:25 PM
rgrecco
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Well ladies and gents.

I gave in and took the bike to the dealer after i disconnected the aux lights hi-beam power adapter and the PC5 to see if that was the problem... well it wasn't...

$180 later it ended up being the HD RUN BRAKE TURN module... Who would have thought that would be kicking power back to the radio and switches... That's why i didn't try it...

Well they removed it and installed a Custom Dynamics Run Brake Turn adapter and she is working like a champ with no more power where it shouldn't be...

Glad it was an easy fix. A little mad that i didn't try removing that one but like i said... WHOWOULD HAVE THOUGHT!

They gave the bike a good once over removed a parking sticker plate that the old owner had on the front caliper and fixed the problem... I guess $180 aint a bad deal when i was expecting several hours of labor to track and locate a short...

Thanks for the help everyone!

RON