Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Can use some advice please

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 05:40 PM
jqb12
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Can use some advice please

Relocated lights
That's the connector that was in tailight, that has the orange/white wire in it which I believe is for the run lights.
This is what I need to secure to the fender
Gonna put a 180 under there and hope it doesn't look like ****!
2012 Street Bob. In an effort to avoid buying another fender, I chopped this one, moved the turn, brake, run lights closer to the main harness under seat to lessen the wires underneath the fender. Gonna use a GM adhesive, or something to stick (what do you think is best?).
My question is..,,,,,,I'm gonna get a side mount plate with a bolt light on it. But not sure how/which wire to tie into? Each turn signal has a blue running wire, and the main wires that were in the original tailight, has an orange/white wire in it that for run lights. Those wires are now disconnected (see pic).

Old 09-20-2017, 01:43 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

I cleaned the inside surface of the fender really well, even an acetone wipe and used Gorilla Duct tape, I changed the rear turn signals two years later and that tape was still stuck nice an pretty, no flaky edges or peeling at all.
I'd use one of the blue wires,, the orange/white is keyed accessory power for add on lights,, so either one will work.
Here's wiring diagrams up to 09,, but they didn't change much on the dynas until I think 2013 with canbus;
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-part-1-a.html

Last edited by JohnMn; 09-20-2017 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:55 AM
jqb12
Road Master

Originally Posted by JohnMn
I cleaned the inside surface of the fender really well, even an acetone wipe and used Gorilla Duct tape, I changed the rear turn signals two years later and that tape was still stuck nice an pretty, no flaky edges or peeling at all.
I'd use one of the blue wires,, the orange/white is keyed accessory power for add on lights,, so either one will work.
Here's wiring diagrams up to 09,, but they didn't change much on the dynas until I think 2013 with canbus;
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-part-1-a.html
Thanks for responding. OK. I'll look into that gorilla tape. I believe my bike is the canbus (not really sure what the hell that means though), system after relocating my front turns
I thought I read that that orange/white wire was for "Tail", which would make it always hot-right? But you think just tie into one of the blue's will do it? Not both of the blue's?
Thanks again

Old 09-20-2017, 09:40 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Purple/Brown=Turn
Blue=Run (always on for lights)
Purple/Brown w/stripe=Stop and/or Turn with Run (depends on model, most likely what you have)
Orange/White=Accessory Power, also power for plate light
Red/Yellow=Stop
Black=Ground

This might help

Last edited by blueangel73; 09-20-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:11 AM
jqb12
Road Master

I have a blue (run), black, and purple running to each rear marker light, and I've got an orange/white, red/yellow, and black that were running directly into the tailight fixture, but are now dis-connected. Im thinking I can tie in to just one of those blue wires, probably the one on the left side of the bike, closest to the license plate light?

Old 09-20-2017, 11:23 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by jqb12
I have a blue (run), black, and purple running to each rear marker light, and I've got an orange/white, red/yellow, and black that were running directly into the tailight fixture, but are now dis-connected. Im thinking I can tie in to just one of those blue wires, probably the one on the left side of the bike, closest to the license plate light?
That might work, but I am not sure how it will act in relation to your sigs. I am not sure if the power to the blue wire is continuous when the sig or brake light is activated, that is something you'll have to test. Also, being on a CANBUS system, it might send a bad signal to the computer telling it you have a problem, over/under voltage maybe. I would just run the Black wire and the Orange/White wire to light the plate to leave it close to the original layout some it doesn't mess with your computer system.

So you know-CANBUS- A Controller Area Network (CAN bus) is a robust vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other in applications without a host computer.

Last edited by blueangel73; 09-20-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:16 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

blueangel73 offers sage advice,, do what he say's.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:14 PM
jqb12
Road Master

Originally Posted by blueangel73
That might work, but I am not sure how it will act in relation to your sigs. I am not sure if the power to the blue wire is continuous when the sig or brake light is activated, that is something you'll have to test. Also, being on a CANBUS system, it might send a bad signal to the computer telling it you have a problem, over/under voltage maybe. I would just run the Black wire and the Orange/White wire to light the plate to leave it close to the original layout some it doesn't mess with your computer system.

So you know-CANBUS- A Controller Area Network (CAN bus) is a robust vehicle bus standard designed to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other in applications without a host computer.
Seems to make sense! OK, that's the plan then. Now I've just got to decide how to hold those wires up under the fender. May go the gorilla tape route. What do you think about those small zip-tie cable holder units, the adhesive type? Maybe gorilla tape over those?
Thanks for the help

Old 09-21-2017, 08:36 PM
jqb12
Road Master

Originally Posted by blueangel73

Just didn't feel good about placing wiring under the fender, so I drilled a hole on side of fender, inside the struts, put gromet in the holes. And made the connections outside the fender. I also used one of those zip-tie holder things just for a little more support. Not sure I even need them though. I'll get tire back tomorrow and will either leave those clips in or just add a strip of that gorilla tape instead over the small
amiunt of wire that's under there. Let me know what you think.
Thanks