Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

What is this and where can I get one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 04:22 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Tkimble01
2007 Ultima EVO 88
I have replaced the starter switch, kill switch, starter relay
The most expensive way to troubleshoot an electrical issue is with your wallet...

Get out your voltmeter.

Let us know when you are ready to actually troubleshoot.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 11-07-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:48 AM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
The most expensive way to troubleshoot an electrical issue is with your wallet...
Ain't that the truth.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:34 PM
NYTPRLR
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While your problem isn't with the voltage regulator, I just thought I would share a little info on them in case you run into charging issues in the future, which most of us do at some point. Voltage regulators and stators are usually replaced together. Because a problem with one can sometimes cause the other to go bad. So what ends up happening in many cases where only one is replaced is they just keep going back and forth ruining each other. A bit of a pain & cost to replace both, but it evades this nightmare that many of us have gone through. Best of luck & ride safe.

Last edited by NYTPRLR; 12-13-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:56 PM
NYTPRLR
6th Gear

Not sure if you have corrected your issue yet but thought I would mention a couple things you might want to consider. First is that you stated it is a 'custom' chopper - meaning it most likely does not have standard factory wiring and/or a schematic diagram available. There's always the possibility that it may not have been wired correctly from the gate. Not trying to say anything bad about the builder, just that I have seen those sorts of issues many times on custom stuff. Was it working properly and then failed or was it not working correctly when you got the bike and now you are trying to fix it? Just something to think about & hopefully lead you to the problem.

Last edited by NYTPRLR; 12-13-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by NYTPRLR
Voltage regulators and stators are usually replaced together. Because a problem with one can sometimes cause the other to go bad.
Not in my experience! But that is why we encourage members to diagnose the problem, for which we have Stickies over in the Tech Electrical section. The only failed regulator I've had in over 40 years of riding Harleys came several years after the stator went out. In fact those are my only failures and were on the same bike.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:15 PM
NYTPRLR
6th Gear

Originally Posted by grbrown
Not in my experience! But that is why we encourage members to diagnose the problem, for which we have Stickies over in the Tech Electrical section. The only failed regulator I've had in over 40 years of riding Harleys came several years after the stator went out. In fact those are my only failures and were on the same bike.
I was only referring to my own personal experience, that of several of my friends, and a handful of shops over the years where we have all had the exact same issues. Glad to hear you have had good luck with them though, it's a real pain & cost. The theories I have heard behind the cause is either a change in impedance in a faulty regulator creating an excessive current draw thus letting the smoke out of the stator assembly, or a fault in the stator resulting in an output voltage beyond the parameters that a regulator can take. But I understand your response - I have heard guys tell me about crazy sounding issues that didn't really seem possible to me, yet over time I hear enough having similar experiences that proves they're definitely dealing with odd issues. Electrical stuff can be difficult to troubleshoot/advise on without actually being able to put your own hands on the bike, simply because some of the readings/symptoms that get relayed may or may not be exactly accurate. Either way, it always feels good when you can help someone out & get their stuff fixed correctly. Ride safe out there