Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Sportster Low Fuel Light On Constant

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 12:05 AM
jcolleymx
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sportster Low Fuel Light On Constant

Got a 2014 XL1200C and the low fuel light stays on constantly. I've searched all over here and don't find an answer for this exact situation. Is there a typical culprit for this? To my knowledge the tank hasn't been off. Bike does have V&H fuelpak, Big Radius exhaust and SE heavy breather on it but stock bars so I don't think anything's been messed with that's related. Maybe sending unit? Bad float? Electrical short? Help!

Old 11-12-2017, 09:20 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

the signal originates at the fuel sensor in the tank. this is probably where you will find the issue. i run gravity, never fails, so i would have to look at the schematic to see if the sensor reading is direct or ecu/can controlled.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:34 AM
jcolleymx
Tourer

So after much searching on XLforums and a little here, I see quite a few owners have this problem (thx H-D). I removed the tank and pump and testing the low fuel sensor with an ohm meter shows no difference whether the float is up or down. But I don't see what would activate anything anyway since it's just a plastic float on a plastic stem - no metal unless the plastic float has some magnetic quality. Since I have to replace the sensor, I figured may as well get the fuel sensor kit ,pn 61200008A, since that's the only replacement H-D shows in their online catalog. However, there's much ambiguity regarding it's function with the stock speedo/tach. I don't want to buy the digital speedo/analog tach if the new fuel sensor will provide more function with the stock speedo. It's my understanding that it will provide the fuel range but not the level. This is from owners as dealers seem to be overall unknowledgeable about the system especially when replacing the speedo/tach also, including not being able to figure out that you can't replace the speedo prior to the sensor and some dealer ads for the sensor even state it's for bikes equipped with the digital speedo (thx again H-D). Are there others that can confirm more function with the upgraded sensor with the stock speedo on the 2014? Knowing responses much appreciated!

Old 05-15-2018, 01:23 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

If you look at the base of the fuel level sending unit you will find some metal pads that serve as a potentiometer to change the resistance that goes for the fuel gauge and the fuel low light going to the speedometer. The upgraded speedometers will also show fuel level on them as well, if you are getting no change on the 2 pins that service the fuel level sending unit then most likely check the base of the sending unit, you may find a disconnect there.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:44 PM
jcolleymx
Tourer

Well the low fuel sensor float does have some magnetic properties I found, but no matter. I'm upgrading from the low fuel sensor to the fuel level sensor, so I'm still unsure of the additional functions when used with the stock speedo on the 2014. I believe it will just add fuel range, which will make it the same as my Fat Bob so that's cool, but wondering if anyone else has done this and what they found?

Old 05-15-2018, 07:50 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Fuel low signal is just the way the speedometer interprets the signal from the fuel level sending unit. There is no other optional item that can be used for the fuel level sending unit. The same signal goes from the sending unit to the speedometer and the fuel gauge. It is just with the stock speedometer the resistance value hits a certain threshold it activates the idiot light. Not sure where you got the magnetic properties idea from but it doesn't exist.

Last edited by Zanthamos; 05-15-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:01 PM
jcolleymx
Tourer

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
Fuel low signal is just the way the speedometer interprets the signal from the fuel level sending unit. There is no other optional item that can be used for the fuel level sending unit. The same signal goes from the sending unit to the speedometer and the fuel gauge. It is just with the stock speedometer the resistance value hits a certain threshold it activates the idiot light. Not sure where you got the magnetic properties idea from but it doesn't exist.
Maybe with the bigger bikes, you're right, but not with the Sportsters. They come stock with just a low fuel sensor in the tank, p/n 75302-07B. It's float only has about a 1" travel so wouldn't give you much for range or a gauge. However, you can upgrade it to a fuel level sensor, p/n 61200008A which gives you a range and gauge capabilities If you upgrade the speedo unit too. These sensors mount in the tank with the fuel pump. Are you just talking about the fuel sender relay which is mounted by the battery? The stock low fuel sensor float is magnetic - I tested it with a magnet and there are no metal pads or anything on it. Here's what it looks like:

Last edited by jcolleymx; 05-15-2018 at 10:02 PM. Reason: correct
Old 05-16-2018, 12:28 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Ahh ok it is a fuel float with a magnetic pickup, yeah the big twins have an arm with a float on it. I hadn't seen the sportsters fuel level indication system. Thanks for the clarification. Still should be just that is the problem.

Old 03-06-2023, 06:11 PM
Tommy Novotnak
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low fuel light

Originally Posted by jcolleymx
Got a 2014 XL1200C and the low fuel light stays on constantly. I've searched all over here and don't find an answer for this exact situation. Is there a typical culprit for this? To my knowledge the tank hasn't been off. Bike does have V&H fuelpak, Big Radius exhaust and SE heavy breather on it but stock bars so I don't think anything's been messed with that's related. Maybe sending unit? Bad float? Electrical short? Help!
Spoiler