Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Global Battery Charger - how long do i need to wait

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 01:22 AM
megahed
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Global Battery Charger - how long do i need to wait

Hi

I left my 2008 rocker c for a couple of months with the battery connected. I have the alarm system deactivated by the way as i believe thats a battery killer

So th bike wouldnt start, battery seems to have gone flat. Connected it 24 hours ago to the global battery charger and the amber light went on (not blinking, just on and that means its charging right?) The green light has not started flashing yet (green light flashing means 80% or more of the battery is charged)

Will it take a lot of time? Has anyone experienced this? Is the battery dead? Do i need a new battery every year if i dont ride for a couple of months (it gets real hot here in dubai)

Couldnt keep the battery at home anymore since my son climbs everywhere now and we live in an apartment.

Any input will be appreciated!!

Old 12-06-2017, 04:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I'm not familiar with that 'global' charger, but to recharge a low battery you need to use a proper charger, not a tender or low level one. If your charger is a low level one it isn't suitable for recovering your battery.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:56 AM
megahed
Intermediate

Hi,
Here is a picture of my charger

Old 12-06-2017, 11:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Found it! The 'global' bit means it can be used all around the World, on the many different voltages used. Yours is a low output model, which I doubt is man enough to charge fully, as mentioned earlier. It's perfectly suitable for maintaining your battery when not in use. Your local auto parts store should have a suitable charger, if you can't find a friend or neighbour who can help you out.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:20 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

You need a real battery charger like grbrown said. What you have is a trickle charger/ battery maintainer. It might get the battery charged back up, but it will take a long time. If the battery is deeply discharged, 11.9v or lower, you can try to trick the charger into recharging the battery by hooking another battery up in parallel (Positive to Positive, Negative to Negative) then hooking the charge to the discharged battery.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:46 PM
megahed
Intermediate

So i got a volt meter with me today, and diconnected the main power supply. it show 12.5 volts

Gonna test it on the bike later today.......hope it works

Old 12-07-2017, 08:51 AM
megahed
Intermediate

Got a couple of umphs but then it died again
Screw it ... this one's gone
Need a new one

Old 12-07-2017, 09:34 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Sounds like you are on the right track. A battery may be OK until a load is placed on it. Then it will short out internally.

I am not sure what your storage setup is, but if you cannot keep a tender on it because you don't have access to power where the bike is, you may want to consider a solar battery maintainer. Search "Pulse Tech". They make a good line of solar maintainers that also will desulfate the battery. If you go that route splurge for the 5 watt model over the 2 watt.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:56 AM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Found it! The 'global' bit means it can be used all around the World, on the many different voltages used. Yours is a low output model, which I doubt is man enough to charge fully, as mentioned earlier. It's perfectly suitable for maintaining your battery when not in use. Your local auto parts store should have a suitable charger, if you can't find a friend or neighbour who can help you out.
Thanks for the smile this morning.