Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Can wires.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 06:56 PM
puzzled1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can wires.

2018 CVO Road Glide. I am removing the entire factory stereo system minus the head unit. While reading the wiring diagram I see there are several Can Hi and Can Low wires. I'm guessing these are Canbus wires. Wanting to remove the wires from the harness which I won't be using I'm not sure what to do with the Can wires. Just about every plug I'd like to remove has two pair of these white twisted wires in them. All of the new stereo equipment will self supported, I'm not taping into anything existing. What can I do or what needs to be done with these wires?

Old 12-11-2017, 12:24 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

I would not remove any wires from a Canbus system. Bundle them up, and tuck them away. The other upside to that is that later down the road someone can reinstall the OEM equipment without having to undo your "fix".

Old 12-11-2017, 12:35 PM
puzzled1
Road Captain

My issue is they are attached to plugs and I want to remove the plugs as they serve no purpose. I'm not concerned with what the next person may or may not do. Not being rude there just I'm building the bike for me, not the next guy.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:39 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 713 Likes on 625 Posts

there is no issue removing the wires for a component but you may have to have the ecm reprogrammed so as to ignore the missing pieces. the ecm is in a continuous loop and if it expects to see something and it is not there, a code will be generated.
another point is that in the auto world, the stereo is married to the ecm so it becomes worthless, does hd do this???

Old 12-11-2017, 03:44 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I've never owned a Canbus bike and it sounds as if you haven't either! How about getting the FSM to check how it works and how to modify it?

Old 12-12-2017, 10:39 PM
TomCop
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Just remove the wires and plugs. You will generate fault codes (time out) as the programmed components are not found. It will not stop the rest from functioning. You will have a red light enabled on your speedo, indicating that there is something that needs your attention. As you did it yourself, no need to pay attention to. Of course when something else goes wrong you will not be notified as the red indicator is always on.
Success!

Old 12-21-2017, 08:32 AM
puzzled1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by grbrown
I've never owned a Canbus bike and it sounds as if you haven't either! How about getting the FSM to check how it works and how to modify it?
Not only do I own the service manual I own the electrical manual the CVO supplement and the parts manual.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:33 AM
puzzled1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TomCop
Just remove the wires and plugs. You will generate fault codes (time out) as the programmed components are not found. It will not stop the rest from functioning. You will have a red light enabled on your speedo, indicating that there is something that needs your attention. As you did it yourself, no need to pay attention to. Of course when something else goes wrong you will not be notified as the red indicator is always on.
Success!
Thank you. That is what I did. I removed all the pieces I no longer need. Do you know if the red service light can be reset or cleared even if by the dealership? I don't know if I have a red light yet as I have not fired the bike up.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:35 AM
puzzled1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bustert
there is no issue removing the wires for a component but you may have to have the ecm reprogrammed so as to ignore the missing pieces. the ecm is in a continuous loop and if it expects to see something and it is not there, a code will be generated.
another point is that in the auto world, the stereo is married to the ecm so it becomes worthless, does hd do this???
Thank you. I am okay with hitting the dealership if need be. I spoke with someone the other day with first-hand knowledge of this and he removed the entire system minus the main cambus wire from his bike without issue. I'm hoping for the same results.