Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

ECM Connection lost, help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 09:12 AM
Vilrandir
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM Connection lost, help please

Hello all! I've been having some trouble with my 2015 Heritage Softail Classic it will ride with no problems at all and suddenly lose all power, engine shuts down. I'll pull up and start it again without issue but this happens again sometime afterwards. I have an FP3 on it which gives me the following error codes :

U0100 ECM lost comm
B2262 front brake switch stuck
B2201 ignition switch oo with VSS
P1632 odometer learned up

​I think the front brake error is a separate one, on the ride back home (after noting the brake error) when the red light came on I would use the front brake abruptly which unstuck the switch and turned the light off (bike didn't shut down), so I'll check what's getting it stuck and properly fix that separately. However, the bike shutdown will happen without getting a red light indicator, so I think the error codes are not related.

Could you guys share some insights on how to look for an answer on what's causing the ECM comm lost?

Old 01-07-2018, 01:04 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

I don't have enough in depth knowledge of a lost comm, but would start with the simple things. Check battery cables at the battery and ground connections. Pull the ECM plug and look for bent pins. Maybe it's not securely seated. Clean the pins with electrical contact cleaner and reinstall.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:06 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I don't have any Softail manuals, just touring. Touring doesn't show a P1632 that I could find but a search came up with this:

https://www.hdforums.com.au/Thread/608899/1

U0100 has a priority of 3 so it would be the first on my list to check. Causes can be Open in the CAN Buss High or Low to the ECM, Open in the System Power to ECM or Open in the ECM Ground.

Schematics can be found here:
https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....320433&id=5542

Last edited by Vernal; 01-07-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:50 AM
Vilrandir
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys I'll take a look after I come back from work today

Old 01-08-2018, 09:18 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 624 Posts

most comm issues are in the wiring specifically the weakest link the connectors. if comm is lost, the ecu can not receive nor transmit data so it shuts down so the run/die and repeat. you could use a data trace probe but when it is intermittent it becomes a tough dog.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:53 PM
j_bee
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

A U0100 can sometimes appear for a few reasons that might not be causing your issue.
To verify it is a likely candidate you should delete the codes and see what ones come back when the issue next shows itself.
If the lost communication error comes back then it is the item to focus on.
Does the FP3 have the ability to show you when the fault occurred. As in how many trips ago and how many times it has happened? Or maybe it has the option to show you if other modules set the code against the ECM.
It might have the ability to do live data logging

When it shuts down, do you lose all vehicle power...speedo drops to zero, lights go out, odometer goes blank, etc...or does the engine itself turn off only?
Does it happen completely randomly or fairly consistently?
Have you had any changes to the handle bars or work done that coincided with the problem arising?

Definitely do the checks suggested by Nevil, make sure the basics are covered, particularly the grounds located on the frame in front of the battery.