Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Power Hub hookup help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 09:05 AM
army12b
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Hub hookup help?

Hey guys,

I am wanting to better organize the wires I have connected to the battery, so I purchased https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...SABEgJGh_D_BwE which is pretty straight forward, it gives you the ability to have constant or switched power, so I am curious if anyone ties into a switched power wire, and what wire do you tie into?

Or has anyone possibly just used a piggy back fuse set up like this, and use the headlight/turn signal fuse and piggy back off them?
Amazon Amazon

Got a 2013 Road Glide, Air ride, 2 Amps, custom dynamics LED Turn signals, so the wires running to the battery has gotten pretty crowded.

Appreciate any help!

Old 01-19-2018, 12:20 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 533 Posts

I am in the process of adding a fuse block to my FLHR for the same reasons you are. First off, $129 for a fuse box is ridiculous, go to an auto parts store and grab one for $10-$15, it will do the job. I will be powering the fuse box from the battery.
As far as tapping into a switched wire, look back a bit from the battery and locate the bundle of wires that go to your rear brakes and signals. Should be a orange wire with white stripe, that is a switched power wire. I tapped into that for my Tour Pack lights and grounded it to one of the bolts under the seat that hold the ECM tray. Hope this helps....
BTW, I wouldn't tap into a wire for the fuse block....

Old 01-19-2018, 01:07 PM
army12b
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hammerhead, thanks man!! that helps, yea I payed extra for convenience on this one, I really don't mess with electrical to much so picking one up at a auto store at first made me nervous but the more I am doing this the more I see the simplicity.

Is there really any reason someone can't just use the piggyback fuse for the switched power?

Thanks for the input!!

Old 01-19-2018, 02:25 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by army12b
Hammerhead, thanks man!! that helps, yea I payed extra for convenience on this one, I really don't mess with electrical to much so picking one up at a auto store at first made me nervous but the more I am doing this the more I see the simplicity.

Is there really any reason someone can't just use the piggyback fuse for the switched power?

Thanks for the input!!
I'm with you in the "electrically inept" category, so I know what you are saying!! Some of the more expensive blocks have the option of plugging the fuse into a switched or an un-switched circuit. I am just gonna hook up my Wards fans and my Gerbing hookup to the box so I don't need power when the bike is off. Good luck.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:41 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,482 Likes on 4,605 Posts

If you are going to connect to one of the already existing switched circuits on the bike, there is no reason to use a fuse block.

The fuse block you linked to appears to have a relay in its circuitry, allowing you to chose whether the circuits are on all the time, or switched.

The fuse block will have a connection to the battery, this is what will power the new circuits.

The fuse block will also have a connection to a switched circuit on the bike, this circuit will control the relay inside the block, it will only draw a few milliamps, all it does is control the switch inside the relay.

You could do the same thing with a 10 dollar relay and a 15 dollar fuse block.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 01-20-2018 at 09:10 AM.