Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Voltage regulator help

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 03:06 AM
05flhtcui89
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage regulator help

As my name suggests I ride a 05 ultra classic. I was riding a while back and my voltage dropped. It was fine at idle, but as soon as I gave it any throttle it would drop down to 10-12 volts on the gauge. I determined it was the voltage regulator after running the usual charging system checks. I have now bought two aftermarket regulators, and both of them fried within about 10 minutes of starting the bike. Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this issue? Is it just crappy Chinese made knock off regulators or is there a real problem with me electrical system? What is the best place or brand replacement regulator to buy? Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:45 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

Oem or cycle electric are the best in my opinion. Probably with the best being cycle electric

Old 04-19-2018, 09:20 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by 05flhtcui89
As my name suggests I ride a 05 ultra classic. I was riding a while back and my voltage dropped. It was fine at idle, but as soon as I gave it any throttle it would drop down to 10-12 volts on the gauge. I determined it was the voltage regulator after running the usual charging system checks. I have now bought two aftermarket regulators, and both of them fried within about 10 minutes of starting the bike. Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this issue? Is it just crappy Chinese made knock off regulators or is there a real problem with me electrical system? What is the best place or brand replacement regulator to buy? Any and all advice is much appreciated.
Hello and welcome.
Rather difficult to provide information when so little is known.
2005 Harley Davidson Ultra with many unkowns:
Unknown mileage
Unknown length of ownership/history
Unknown modifications from factory stock
It is unknown how long the bike worked fine and then problem starter
How did you determine the regulator was bad? was stator AC voltage checked? Was AC voltage within specs?
Was battery checked? a bad/shorted battery could destroy an electrical system... so could a jump start from a running vehicle.
A factory voltage gauge in the fairing would be a rather inaccurate device to use for voltage measurement..a digital voltage meter to battery posts would be much better.
Did the bike leave you stranded? Did it not start?
What does this mean : "both of them fried within about 10 minutes of starting the bike"
Did the voltage drop? Did regulator smoke?

Old 04-19-2018, 09:32 AM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts

If ya need a voltage reg......Cycle Electric........they don't shunt to ground.....just installed on mine after a few times while riding the voltage would go down to 10v.....WHILE riding......using PV-1 I can see that the voltage is much more stable.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:53 AM
05flhtcui89
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by im
Hello and welcome.
Rather difficult to provide information when so little is known.
2005 Harley Davidson Ultra with many unkowns:
Unknown mileage
Unknown length of ownership/history
Unknown modifications from factory stock
It is unknown how long the bike worked fine and then problem starter
How did you determine the regulator was bad? was stator AC voltage checked? Was AC voltage within specs?
Was battery checked? a bad/shorted battery could destroy an electrical system... so could a jump start from a running vehicle.
A factory voltage gauge in the fairing would be a rather inaccurate device to use for voltage measurement..a digital voltage meter to battery posts would be much better.
Did the bike leave you stranded? Did it not start?
What does this mean : "both of them fried within about 10 minutes of starting the bike"
Did the voltage drop? Did regulator smoke?
It has about 70,000 miles. My grandfather bought it brand new and I've had it for about 6 months. No modification from factory. I took it on about an hour ride to the store and the problem started right before I got home. The battery was to low to restart the bike by the time I got home. Battery is brand new and was tested. I check everything with a multimeter after it was charged. Stator is just fine and within spec. The voltage dropped with both new regulators and after a recheck with multimeter everything is still fine except the regulator.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:43 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Cycle electric