Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

B2123 code: ‘13 Dyna Fat Bob

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 02:52 PM
MrCoachParker
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B2123 code: ‘13 Dyna Fat Bob

Hey, Fellas.
I’m getting a B2123 code and canNOT figure out what’s up. The battery is brand new. At one time, I was getting that buzzing sound when it seems like the battery was low. So, I replaced the battery.

(This part is what’s weird) My bike wouldn’t start standing up, but when it was leaning on the stand, I would get it to start. This was a few times. Now, it won’t start.

The code in getting is the B2123 which indicates the wire from the BCM to the starter is the problem. Seems like that wire is part of the whole wiring harness.

When I attempt to start it, I can feel the starter engage but clicks and stops... nothing else happens.

The headlight is on prior to start and then goes out when I try to start it, appearing like it’s the battery or no voltage.

Any ideas as to what I can inspect to see if it’s the problem?

My list seems like it needs to be: 1) check grounds 2) check other wiring connections 3) check starter clutch and solenoid.

Any suggestions? I really appreciate it.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:52 PM
Olivier974
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MrCoachParker
Hey, Fellas.
I’m getting a B2123 code and canNOT figure out what’s up. The battery is brand new. At one time, I was getting that buzzing sound when it seems like the battery was low. So, I replaced the battery.

(This part is what’s weird) My bike wouldn’t start standing up, but when it was leaning on the stand, I would get it to start. This was a few times. Now, it won’t start.

The code in getting is the B2123 which indicates the wire from the BCM to the starter is the problem. Seems like that wire is part of the whole wiring harness.

When I attempt to start it, I can feel the starter engage but clicks and stops... nothing else happens.

The headlight is on prior to start and then goes out when I try to start it, appearing like it’s the battery or no voltage.

Any ideas as to what I can inspect to see if it’s the problem?

My list seems like it needs to be: 1) check grounds 2) check other wiring connections 3) check starter clutch and solenoid.

Any suggestions? I really appreciate it.
HI,
i have exactly the same issue! Did you find the solution ?

Old 02-14-2020, 10:02 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Sounds like an internal short in the starter or solenoid, I would check those parts first.

Old 02-15-2020, 06:38 AM
Crotonrz
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

It sounds like a bad battery connection, or a broken battery cable. You're getting enough amps through it to turn the bike on, but when you try and start it the high amp draw through a bad connection or cable causes voltage drop and the BCM will shut down. Could also explain why it may have worked better in different positions, moving the cable in the right way to cause a better connection. Start wiggling all the battery cables, check ground stud tightness, see if anything changes, if not, remove the cables and see if any of them bend too easily in a given spot which would indicate a break.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:56 AM
Olivier974
1st Gear

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I add some informations.
I have a fxdls 2017 with 8,300SM. I bought this bike with a friend. He
customized the bike with only the new ligting system. I replaced the turn signals and
head lamp by the full led system. New Head lamp and front turn signals wiring is « plug ans play » sytem, no
cut, no wire modification. The rear turn signals wire have been cut and re welded, seem to be correct.
The lighting sytem operate correctly. Just when i put full headlight i get a red light warning whose canceled when i switch off the bike. The battery is a new one, aftermarket brand (ultimate).
I got an oozing on the rocker covers so HD dealer replaced the upper and lower seals. During this operation, they crushed the ignition switch cable when the install the fuel tank. The cable was damaged but not cutter(
(green/black cable multiplex). The bike started correctly.
I continued to custom the bike. I replaced only the air filter and the rear shocks (no fuse or bat disconnected).
To replace the rear shocks (from 13" to 11") I raised up the bike with a vertical lift, stand retracted and no side lean. When i lowered the bike, it didn’t start on the stand. Only start with the stand retracted ??????
I got B2123 dtc message. Now, some time it starts on stand some times doesn’t start on stand.
When operate the start sequence,
run up sw = auto test ok with fuel pump pressure ok/
ignition sw push = nothing, no crank only lowered voltage in head lamp and red light warning dash panel with B2123 code.
HD dealer is surprised. First time They cleaned only the solenoid contactors. The bike didn’t start and start after several attempts. Then I rided for 3 month and the trouble came back ( some time it starts on stand some times doesn’t start on stand).
HD dealer, second time followed the electronical diagnostic manual and apply the starter solenoid suply continuity test (b2123). But the issue is the same!!!!???? For them, the solenoid supply cable is good and bcm also.???? They repaired the starter sw cable I the same time.
So, 3 questions :
- I read that the BCM x-axis get a Bank angle Sensor, inertial sensor and accelerometer. So, is it possible that the trouble come from the lowered shocks that lead the BCM saw the bike is leaned ????? Or maybe the magnetic stand sensor damaged during rear shocks replacement ?
- An issue inside the lighting system cables can lead to this issue?
- Erractic electrical arc inside the solenoid can lead to this issue?
rmk : I plan to re install the original rear shocks and a direct solenoid push button to avoid to be stuck on the road
thks for your reply