Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

07 Street glide electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 03:50 PM
Luke22885
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 07 Street glide electrical issue

Need some help-
For a week or two the radio would cut in and out, never shut off just not play for a second or two through Bluetooth so figured it was radio. Took it out Friday and it was worse then out of nowhere it kept shutting the radio off and turning back on. Took it out Sunday and the radio was off more than it was on and the turn signals did not work. I stopped for gas and it would not start, no noise or anything. I flipped the ignition switch on and off a few times and it started. When it is running there are no issues and voltage meter is up where it should be. Got it home and it would not start again but walked it into garage and it fired right up this morning. Any suggestions on where to start???

Mike

Old 10-18-2018, 10:18 AM
Baja38ss
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had similar issue with mine a while back. It was the radio, the heat sinks on the side of the radio would not dissipate the heat coming off the deck, I had an amp stacked on top so thought that contributed to it but just a guess. It would stay on but would not produce any sounds at all. If I would power down the radio with the power button and it would play for a short time and then do the same thing. I ended up buying a used one on the forum.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:14 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Not sure what Baja38ss is talking about, maybe the known problem of the HK amp chips, which are secured to the heat sink causing the breaking of the solder joints at the circuit board. This is because the circuit board is not properly secured in that area, and sharp jolts cause the board to flex while the amp chips are secured to the radio body, and thus over time cause the breaking of the solder joints.
This is not a heat sink issue, but rather a design flaw with properly securing the circuit board (along with the bolts on some models that secure the handlers which the radio can come in contact with.)

But by your description I don’t think that is your problem.
In fact, I think you may have more then one problem, but that is hard to tell with the limited info.

I am no expert, but what I do think is you will have to give a little more info …
stock radio?
how is Bluetooth connected?
Mods (IE. handlebars, switches, grips. amps, etc.)?

I would start at the fuse panel.
Go through all your fuses and relays, pull them, and make sure there is no corrosion on the contacts.
Cleaning them (and applying a small amount of dielectric grease) should be routine yearly maintenance.

Then check all your grounds.
(If your ‘07 is like my ‘09 there are two grounds under the rear seat area (way under, like near the starter,) and one under the handlebars. Those are the main grounds, but there are others.)
Again, cleaning and dielectric grease should be done routinely.

If that doesn’t help, get back with additional info., I am sure someone will be able to help.

Last edited by IKnowNot; 10-19-2018 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Calcification of ground location