Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Electrical/Lighting/Alarm (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/electrical-lighting-alarm-43/)
-   -   Tour Pack Illumination - '07 Ultra Classic (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/electrical-lighting-alarm/1256282-tour-pack-illumination-07-ultra-classic.html)

wharfcreek 10-05-2018 11:41 AM

Tour Pack Illumination - '07 Ultra Classic

I have a 'new2me' 2007 Ultra Classic. One thing I've noted is that the two lights on the tour pack aren't working. The pack is on a 'removable' set of mounts, so I checked underneath and didn't find any connectors other than Radio/CB. I pulled the liner of the pack and did fine one connector that appears to lead to each light socket, a '3-wire' connector.....so I'm assuming that the socket's find 'ground' through one of the other sources, and that the 3 wire connector supplies voltage to both side running lights via one wire, and then the two remaining connections are for right and left 'blinkers'. However, this connector won't even make it out the bottom of the tour pack....which leads me to believe there's yet another harness I'm missing that may connect elsewhere on the bike. Can anyone shed any light on this for me (pun intended......hahaha!!). Thanks, Tom D.

grbrown 10-07-2018 04:24 PM

Do you have any wires between the tourpak and your bike? If not then you do indeed need something to bridge the gap! This parts websight may help identify what's missing.

MURPHCC1 10-07-2018 05:29 PM

I've got a 07EGUC......dont think those lights are stock.......none I've ever seen........PO must have set something up or aftermarket HD units....

wharfcreek 10-07-2018 09:08 PM

Stopped in to the HD dealership on yesterday and was met with very little in the way of help or information. The guy at the parts counter seemed as if 'work' was not in his vocabulary.

That said, this morning I went out with 12V alarm system battery and tested the wiring on the tour pack plug. The 3-wire connector did supply circuit for both 'running' lights and 'brake' lights, as well as 'ground'. Clearly, there is a harness that connects between the harness plug inside the tour pack itself, and the corresponding 3-wire plug up by the back end of the gas tank. I also probed that connector (which 'mates' with the one inside the tour pack) and confirmed that it supplied ground, running lights, and brake light voltage. So, I decided to simply cut the connector that was inside the tour pack and extend all three of the wires into an extended harness itself....then re-connect the plug. I found some good wire, cut 3 pieces about 20" each, then made all my splices. I then 'wrapped' this new extended harness in black tape, then covered it in that split-loom covering......which made for a nice 'professional' looking harness that runs from the lights inside the tour pack, out the back, and along under the seat up to the connector by the gas tank where it just plugs in nicely. Like the speaker wires and the antenna wires, all this can still be 'unplugged' to remove the tour pack as long as the seat is removed. By the way, the two 'main' lights at the rear work perfectly as both running and brake lights......and the left side marker lights along the bottom of the tour pack all illuminate OK. BUT....the right side lower marker lights seem to have some burned out bulbs. I pulled that lens assembly and found it to be 'sealed'.....or permanently glued together? I gather that means the bulbs inside are NOT replaceable? Anyway, the big black box now lights up in back providing additional visibility and 'safety' for a road trip planned in a couple days! Did about 150 miles on the bike today. TERRIBLE gearing!!! But, other than that, all was well.

TSD

cficole 10-09-2018 10:15 AM

Looks like an assembly, in the parts manual I've got.

wharfcreek 10-10-2018 07:20 PM

I figured it to be an assembly. I don't see any way to 'open' the lens set-up without literally carving it open with like a razor knife or scalpel blade. Even then, I don't know what one would find in there; either LED strips or individual incandescent bulbs. I think I'll just keep looking for a 'stock' replacement unit.

For the record, I took the bike on a 750 mile trip over the past 2 days. Overall it ran well, but it's got a couple of issues that I find quite disturbing. For one thing, when I shift into either 5th or 6th, it generates a rather annoying vibration. 1st through 4th are all quite smooth, but 5th and 6th seem like there's a 'balance' issue going on somewhere.....or something's out of round. It's almost a 'shudder'.....but no excessive noise or 'grinding' associated with it. Worse the faster I go......but if I"m doing like 70 in 4th.....it's smooth sailing. But, shift to 5th and the vibration starts....and if I shift to 6th it's actually pretty bad. I may have to have an HD dealer do an 'evaluation' of this. The other issue is a whining noise from the primary drive area. Not sure what this is all about either, but I'm suspect of the 'shoe' that's on the primary drive chain tensioner. When I took the primary off to repair the starter, I noted an odd wear pattern on the tensioner shoe. That being true, I don't know if this would cause the noise I'm hearing......but I think replacing that shoe may be a good idea.....and if it solves that problem, then I'm down to just the one remaining 'mechanical' problem of the 5th/6th vibration/shudder. Lord knows what that is.....but it doesn't make for a comfortable ride and rather kills the feeling of security one hopes for when riding along at 70+ MPH!!!

MURPHCC1 10-10-2018 07:29 PM

I replaced the Primary chain tensioner with HAYDEN unit.........the original only tightens the chain.......it doesn't float.

Cant help ya with the shuddering in 5th and 6th.........but dont get into 6th till at least 70.

wharfcreek 10-11-2018 06:35 AM

Where does one get a Haydon tensioner?

grbrown 10-11-2018 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by wharfcreek (Post 17748452)
Where does one get a Haydon tensioner?

From a Hayden shop! Note the spelling. It's actually called a Hayden M6 and is made by Hayden Enterprises, CA. Widely available on the internet.

wharfcreek 10-11-2018 07:39 AM

Found one in my back yard (Eastern Performance in Gambrills, Maryland). Looks to be about $110 or so.

So, you prefer this particular mechanism over the 'stock' tensioner? Can I perhaps get some detail as to 'Why?' I read some info about it on some of the ads for it, and the claim was that it provided quieter shifting with more of a 'click' than a 'clunk'....which if true is certainly a nice thing!! But, just looking at it, I'm curious about that 'floating' aspect of it, particularly on 'engine braking' when slop all goes to the top-side of the chain. Is the 'floating' aspect of this possibly a hazard in engine braking conditions by putting a lot of 'slop' on the top side of the primary chain when down shifting to brake? What's your experience with it?

OH, and I think you're right about being at 70 or over for 6th gear! The Interstate Highways around here will often run at 75+, and upwards of even 85 on I-95 between Washington DC, Philly, NYC, and even to Boston. I think at about 70 ish the engine RPM is turning slightly less than 2500 RPM.....which is almost 'lugging it' on my bike. I don't recall 'exactly'.....but I think at about 75 it runs at about 2500+....which is OK.....but on this past trip I seemed to find myself cruising at about 3K or so, which was often in 4th gear.....just to avoid the vibration. I think 70 MPH was about 3200 to 3300 in 4th gear.....which was actually pretty pleasant from a 'smoothness of ride' standpoint. Over the entire ride my worst MPG was 39.8, while my best was 40.8.....which included about 300 miles through the mountains in Sproule State Park in Northern Pennsylvania. So, for a bike of that size, I consider that to be pretty good performance!!

Thanks, Tom