Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

05 Electr Glide Cruise Control won’t engage

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 07:29 PM
Jessieh2
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Electr Glide Cruise Control won’t engage

I have an ’05 Electra glide and the cruise control will not activate. It passes test for front & rear brake switches, the roll back switch, set & resume button and it will do the cable lash initialization (motor will slightly accelerate and then return to idle. When doing the diagnostic trouble shooting for ‘Cruise wont engage’ listed in the service manual. It passes all test except the one where you turn rear wheel and cruise light will flash, but doesn’t. Following further thru diagnostics, it states to unplug cruise module and check “K” terminal (manual labels it the speed sensor)with ohms meter. There is no voltage (which is correct) but it does test with a ground on that terminal(it should test clear or open, infinity). Manual says to check wire for ground. This is section 7.12 in manual.

I pulled the tank and outer fairing, & side panels looking for something obvious. I even cut back a little on wiring harness but could not find anything.

What really confuses me, I can unplug the main harness from the interconnect harness that feeds the ESM and the ground goes away. But checking in both directions on the wire(its w/gn) it test clear in both directions. This connector is located behind the right side panel.

I have removed the speed sensor, cleaned it (actually it looked fine, no metal shavings) and the speedometer works fine.

Short of ripping open the entire wiring harness or replacing the speed sensor ($65, non returnable) I don’t know what to do. I wouldn’t be opposed to opening up more on harness if I new which direction to chase. It totally baffles me how the ground can just “go away” when I unplug that connector.

Can anyone give any advice how to pursue further?

Old 10-06-2018, 08:56 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Do you have any issues with turn signals not cancelling?

Old 10-06-2018, 09:26 PM
Jessieh2
6th Gear

Both working properly

Old 10-07-2018, 12:17 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,297 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Let me see if I have this right:
connector 17B K - W/GN is common to ground, disconnect 8 A&B and short to grd at 17B K goes away and on 8A #5 W/GN to grd. is clear too? I'm looking at 2004 manual and drawings.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:19 PM
Jessieh2
6th Gear

Vernal, wow! First off let me thank you for taking the time ti look at wiring diagram and trying to understand my problem.

at 17 A i disconnect cruise module. The k terminal on the harness test with a ground on it. When i disconnect connectors 8A & 8B the ground goes away at all points. 17B connector at K terminal test s clear. At both 8A & 8B connectors the w/gn terminal test clear, no ground. Plug it back up, ground reappears at reappears at 17B on K terminal.

Last edited by Jessieh2; 10-07-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:12 PM
Vernal
Club Member

Here are my thoughts ........
W/GN is common to ground and having connector 8 together just completes the path, at 17B BK goes to the Right Hand Ground stud, if you check between K and BK I bet you see continuity. At 8A check continuity between W/GN and BK then unplug connector 65 at the VSS if continuity went away that was your path to BK. if not hook it back up and disconnect the ignition control module and see if you lose the grd.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:09 PM
Jessieh2
6th Gear

Followed your instructions. The short between w/gn & bk goes away when i unplug the ECM (its fuel injected. Does that mean the ecm is bad?

Old 10-08-2018, 04:30 PM
Vernal
Club Member

I’d try to find another ecm and see if the pins are common. . Maybe the HD Tech line could answer that or visit a local dealer and talk to a tech.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:37 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Old 10-09-2018, 06:12 PM
Jessieh2
6th Gear

Thanks, but i have already tried those except the one where the bike is running. Mine wont engage so that test wont work for me. Maybe i can find a cheap ecm and determine if that is issue. If i had any hair i would pull it out.

Quick Reply: 05 Electr Glide Cruise Control won’t engage