Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

2002 RG Cruise failure code 223

Old 10-29-2018, 07:40 AM
tootal
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2002 RG Cruise failure code 223

I'm on a long trip and 100 miles from home my cruise control would just go off. Later it would work for a while and go out again. Now it doesn't work at all. I've looked up the test procedures and it passes all the test. I did the initializing test and it all seems to do what it's supposed to do. I down loaded the codes and got a 223 code. This is the speed sensor input. I pulled the sensor and it was clean. My speedometer works fine. The only difference is I have a Dakota Digital in line to readjust my speedometer due to a Baker Direct Drive 6 speed. Friends have ridden behind me to check brake switches and all good. The clutch switch still needs to be checked but the code bothers me. Why would my speedo work but the CC not get a reading? I'm about to pull the cover off the unit and see if there's some cold solder joints and check the connection of Wire K on the input connection. Anybody else seen this situation?

Old 10-30-2018, 12:43 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts
Old 10-31-2018, 07:38 AM
tootal
Tourer

Thanks for the link but I had seen that one and was the reason I was going to pull the module apart. I did so and found nothing out of order. I put it all back together and went for a ride. It started working again but then it quit, then it worked again then it quit. So I'm going to pull the codes again this morning and check the clutch switch. If the clutch switch is stuck in then you would not notice it's failure since you would still be able to start it in gear with the clutch in. I will follow up with what I find.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:26 AM
tootal
Tourer

So I went looking for the clutch switch and could not find it. I pulled the clutch lever out of the way but there's no switch behind it. I pulled the switch assembly off and found nothing that would contact the clutch lever. I'm 1000 miles away from my service manuals. Where is the switch located?

Old 10-31-2018, 09:14 AM
tootal
Tourer

I called a friend with a 2002 dresser and found out our bikes don't have a clutch switch. The cruise control must just notice a rise in rpm when you pull in the clutch and that switches off the cruise. So now I'm out of options, the module must be bad even though it sounds like it's working during the testing.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:37 PM
tootal
Tourer

Well I'm back home and during the trip I found the unit would work while it was cold but as the temperature rose it would die and not return. This sure sounds like a cold solder joint. The signal from the speed sensor goes to the speedometer and then back out to the module. I tested continuity between the input of the module to the connector at the speedometer and it was good. So now it comes down to, is the signal getting out of the speedometer. Since it works fine I know it's getting a signal but does it stop there or does it make it to the module and gets stopped there. I just took the speedometer out but it's glued together so I'd probably screw it up taking it apart to inspect the board. I think I'll try checking continuity between the signal input and output, maybe that will tell me something.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:49 PM
tootal
Tourer

So I got my electrical manual out to see if there was a test for the speedometer and found one. Basically, if you pull the plug out of the module and turn on the ignition switch you should have 9-11 volts at the wire for the speed sensor. I tried this and I did. Then I got my brother to do the same test while I jacked up the bike's rear tire and spun it over 3 mph. The voltage dropped to 3 to 4. This means the signal from the speed sensor is reaching the module correctly so that means the module is bad. One on order. My guess is the problem is in the board but I figured that these modules are getting hard to find so I might as well get a new one since I have no plans and getting rid of this bike. I might find the issue and fix it only to have it break elsewhere.

The following users liked this post:
Vernal (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 03:39 AM
teeroy_
Road Warrior
Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

did you check your throttle cable roll off switch? quite common that they fail. just unplug it to test

Old 11-13-2018, 12:34 PM
tootal
Tourer

It was already unplugged when it failed. Vibration I guess. I reconnected it and it passed the switch test. I found a new module on ronniesmailorder.com and ordered it. Then I got the e-mail I expected that said it was no longer available. A friend of mine told me he heard that Pontiac used the same unit on it's Sunbird. I tried to find confirmation on line but didn't find any. However I did find a unit that fits many GM cars on e-bay and it looks just like the Harley unit. I'm going to pull the Harley one off the bike and compare it to the pictures on e-bay but it looks promising. Thanks for your reply, it is a common failure.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:58 PM
tootal
Tourer

I ordered the ebay unit as it looks identical. Remove the Harley sticker and there's no difference. I will report back.

The following users liked this post:
teeroy_ (11-15-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 RG Cruise failure code 223