Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Switch from dual headlamps to single

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 07:38 AM
JensBobber
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Switch from dual headlamps to single

Hello there Harley-masters. I asume this would be the right forum for my question.
I am gonna switch my front dual headlamp to a single 7". It's acutally more cause of the looks. The duals working fine and it's a nice stand out feature on the Fatbob (my bike).
Is there anyone who can explain how I connect the cables from the two main to a single one (schedule or something)? Can I wire the two each together to a single cable colourwise? Attaching some pics.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:17 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

what year machine and how does the present setup function? high and a low separate or combined.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:39 AM
JensBobber
Cruiser

It's a Dyna Fatbob 2008. I actually don't know cause I haven't looked into the cables yet. I don't wanna tare them up before I really know if I can manage it. There for I was thinking if anyone inhere has done it before and know exactly what to do from scratch. I'm kinda beginner aswell, so I dont wanna f**k things up lol. I have a wiring shedule, but dont know if its relieable. The single headlamp is an aftermarket piece, but should fit a Dyna well. The forks is kinda wide on a fatbob, so I think it would suit the best.. (my opinion).

Old 11-12-2018, 08:46 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

i do not have your particular machine and i only have the 2007 info.
however, it appears to be plug and play. although the wire color is diff, the pin out is the same. two options: use just one side of the pigtail or get a single pigtail. at least that is what is showing on my 2007 info.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/index
https://www.stcharlesharleydavidson.com/
you should be able to get schematics here for your machine by vin# at the harley sip
you can get pigtail if you need one, look up p/n in the fiche under shop online>hd parts>year>model

Old 11-13-2018, 10:00 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Those 2 aftermarket lights, are they actually part of the main harness or do they have a connector that goes to the main harness? If someone has spliced those wires to the main harness then you are going to have to go all the way back to their splice point and run the H4 connector harness off of the main to return to stock condition.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:28 AM
JensBobber
Cruiser

I haven't really looked up the source if the cables goes to one single further below. Don't wanna screw it up, if I can't fix it myself. Was thinkin if I can cut the two cables that now goes to the two headlamps and then twist the two high beam and the two lo beam each together, then connect them to somekind of adapter between those canles and the new from the single headlamp.