Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Expected Battery Life

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 01:21 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by fltrxcrzy
I couldn't agree more with you more... Typically the HD batteries have lasted 4 to 5 years for me too on my other bikes. But, I'm thinking HD changed vendors for their batteries in the last couple of years. I've gone through two batteries on my '14 now?
So is the agm battery charged the same way as the lead acid ? , And has any of your batteries been lithium cell ?.

Its no biggie that the lithium units require a different charger as I can use the tender on the mowers , Just That holy smoke they pump out 320 to 400 + CCA’s And are pretty expensive.

Wiz 🍺

Old 11-16-2018, 07:28 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,291 Likes on 1,905 Posts

Click on the resources tab and let the experts answer your questions
https://www.yuasabatteries.com/

Old 11-17-2018, 07:15 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Vernal
Click on the resources tab and let the experts answer your questions
https://www.yuasabatteries.com/
Ok thanks for that,
The best battery I found was rated at 240 CCA’s for my 1200 custom.
Just wondering if anyone has found a higher rated battery for my scoot.

Thanks again for everyone’s input

Wiz 🍺

Old 11-17-2018, 07:56 AM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

My batteries generally last about 3 years. I use the tender year round, but also go camping alot for 2-3 weeks at a time without tender.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:49 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
I’d suggest some diagnostics first:
- load test on the battery
- when the battery is fully charged, disconnect the negative post on the baterry, then let the bike sit for a few days. If the battery still drains down...it’s the battery. If the battery does not drain down, then you have some kind of parasitic load that is draining it.
Ok rang the dealer today and he told me to bring the battery in so they can load test it, He seemed to be inclined to say but not suggest that there’s a few dud sporster batteries out there ( Read bad batch ) but if mines a dud they will replace it straight away.

Gee Wiz 🙄

Old 11-27-2018, 02:01 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus

Ok rang the dealer today and he told me to bring the battery in so they can load test it, He seemed to be inclined to say but not suggest that there’s a few dud sporster batteries out there ( Read bad batch ) but if mines a dud they will replace it straight away.

Gee Wiz 🙄
Ok battery update, had it load tested twice and it’s still passing , I bet if I put it in the bike it’ll last 3-4 days ...

I’ve even had the battery sitting on the work bench in the garage on the tender, taken the tender off and just left it on the bench top It’ll loose charge just sitting there.

Im going to try out the ride on battery tomorrow and see if I get the same result.
As for the Harley load tester , if it said 2x2= 7 they still consider it ok and won’t do anything.

Im starting to get the idea why so many people get pissed at dealerships and the cat mouse bullshit they play
Wiz Out 🤬

Old 11-28-2018, 12:59 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
My last two came from Walmart at apx 2/3 less then the MotherShip. They lasted around 4 years. Harley's lasted 5 years.
Hey mate, what brand was the battery you got from Wally World,

Thx again
Wiz 🍺

Old 11-28-2018, 06:28 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Ah, batteries! I've had a new bike's battery fail within 6 months of purchase of the bike and another (different brand bike) last 12+ years from new. I replaced my '07 Buell battery last year at ten years old, but only to be sure, my 2011 Sporty is still going strong, both bikes kept on tenders when not used for a few days or more. As for a replacement, buy an AGM type, as they give great performance and seem to last well.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:15 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by grbrown
Ah, batteries! I've had a new bike's battery fail within 6 months of purchase of the bike and another (different brand bike) last 12+ years from new. I replaced my '07 Buell battery last year at ten years old, but only to be sure, my 2011 Sporty is still going strong, both bikes kept on tenders when not used for a few days or more. As for a replacement, buy an AGM type, as they give great performance and seem to last well.
Just a quick question, the stock sporty battery comes in at 220 cca , do you think that’s sufficient or should I stretch out to 240 +.
Thanks again

Wiz 🍺

Old 11-29-2018, 03:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
Just a quick question, the stock sporty battery comes in at 220 cca , do you think that’s sufficient or should I stretch out to 240 +.
Thanks again

Wiz 🍺
Good question. I'm certain that a few of us have simply used stock Sportster batteries, which with a stock Evo will probably be fine. I have an S&S 107", so wanted one with a bit more beef! Check out AGM-type batteries, as I've noticed that they seem to have been upgraded in recent times. My stock battery in 1990 was described as 20/22 Ah, but we didn't use CCA back then - I suspect that a current Sporty AGM battery is quite a bit stronger than a 1990 spec big twin one!

Quick Reply: Expected Battery Life