Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Brake lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 08:19 PM
Noshame
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake lights not working

so I just put a set of 12” apes on my 2004 FXSTS. All I did was add extensions to the existing wires and run them through the bars to the stock plugs. I matched wiring colour from top to bottom. Now with everything put back on my brake lights won’t come on with the neither the front lever or foot control. I didnt think anything in the handlebars would affect the rear brake switch. What am I missing? I’m checking with the key turned to the on position but bike not running which I wouldn’t think should make a difference. Thanks in advance for any replies. I haven’t checked fuses yet but I will shortly.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:09 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

Are you sure that the brake light isn't staying on? It's very easy to break the front brake light switch, especially if you didn't shim the brake lever when you took the switches off & on. Take a good look at the elements in the tail/brake light. If all is good there, then check the fuse. You're right about the handlebars not having anything to do with the rear brake light switch.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:13 PM
Noshame
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
Are you sure that the brake light isn't staying on? It's very easy to break the front brake light switch, especially if you didn't shim the brake lever when you took the switches off & on. Take a good look at the elements in the tail/brake light. If all is good there, then check the fuse. You're right about the handlebars not having anything to do with the rear brake light switch.

i didn’t shim the front lever when I took it off so I probably did break the switch. I will check the lights here in a few minutes and get back to you. So a broken switch will make the light stay on? Thanks a ton for your reply. I’ll get back to you.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:18 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member

There's a little tip on the front brake light switch that breaks very easily. If that tip breaks or if you don't position the brake master cylinder/lever assembly & the switch housing together correctly, than that tip doesn't contact the brake lever when it's released.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:23 PM
Noshame
3rd Gear

As far as I can see the tip of the switch contacts the lever. Just turned on the power and the taller of the two elements in the brake light is lit while the shorter element isn’t lit.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:26 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member

Well if the switch is good & the bulb is good, then check the fuse.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:29 PM
Noshame
3rd Gear

Checked the fuse too. Can’t remember correctly but the shorter element in the bulb is running and the taller is brake? Fuse for lighting is good. I’m hoping one of my soldered connections isn’t bad cause I’d have to rip it all apart again and re do the connection inside the bar if that’s it.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:00 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,922 Likes on 3,022 Posts

The foot lever had nothing to do with the bars. The bar wire and foot wire meet under the seat.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:28 PM
Noshame
3rd Gear

Well 1) I’m an idiot and 2) I got it sorted out. I checked the wrong fuse, I checked the lighting fuse when I should’ve checked the accessories fuse. It was blown and now everything works great. I appreciate the help.

The following users liked this post:
14GuineaPig (11-26-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 11:01 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

when i added apes i had the reverse happen, my brake light wouldnt turn off. I had put the front brake back together wrong so the switch wasnt pushed in. Or was it that it was pushed in? oh hell one of those. Its been a while.

Last edited by saltlick; 11-25-2018 at 11:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake lights not working