Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

14 Road King - Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 09:47 AM
Blvfisc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 14 Road King - Power Loss

I have a 2014 Road King and am having a power loss issue that no one can seem to diagnose. I have taken it to the dealer, independent shop and done countless forum searches to no avail. Thought I would post this and see if someone had a thought on where I can go next with it.

Here is what is happening:

Bike starts and runs fine. When I am riding in a pack, after a little while when coming to a stop the bike losses all electrical power. It is like battery is disconnected. After a couple of minutes the bike will start and run again like nothing happened. Again only happens when riding in a pack. I have ridden for long distances by myself of with one other bike and it doesn't happen. Has done it 3 times now. Another point to note is that I have moved the ignition switch to the horn location. This was done over a year ago and the above problem is recent. Don't think this is part of the issue but thought I would mention it as the symptoms are just like the switch being placed into the off position.

Here is what I have done so far:

- replaced the stock battery with a lithium ion battery
- Inspected / Cleaned / Tightened all battery connections and cables
- replaced the fob battery

Not sure where to go with it from here. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

B-

Old 12-06-2018, 10:43 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Heat the voltage regulator with a hair dryer and see what it puts out when warmed, compare that to when cold and see if you get a difference. Riding in a pack, are you doing a lot of stop and go while in the pack vs a lot of just cruising when you are lone wolfing it? You just changed to the Li-PO batt after the issue started? The other thing I would look at is the ignition switch, are you running the softail style ignition switch if so check to see if the ignition switch contacts internally are worn, you can do this by removing the internal spring clip and disassembling the ignition switch that way.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:51 AM
Blvfisc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will test the voltage regulator. The battery was replaced about 3 mos before the issue started. It is the standard ignition switch for the touring models I will check that as well.