Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

04 sportster speedometer not working. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 09:06 PM
avasquez097
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 04 sportster speedometer not working. Please help

hey guys. So to explain a little bit, it rained for a few days so I did not ride my bike. It sat for three days. 2004 883c almost 30k miles, when I turned the key to on, I noticed the whole Speedometer did not turn on, the bike started up fine and all the lights worked, just no Speedo or odemeter. The needle doesn’t work either. I rode it to work like that and after work I turned the key on and then everything worked fine, but as soon as I started riding it all turned off again. It’s turns off and on now but when I ride it’s just off. I had this posted on the sporstser forum but was advised to move it here. I replaced the speed sensor but that did not fix the problem. Also I should add about two weeks ago I had the dealer fix some wiring for my turn signals, I’m not sure if that would be the cause? My only other thought would be the whole speedometer unit itself but I’m not sure if that happens often

Last edited by avasquez097; 12-08-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:07 PM
avasquez097
Advanced

Also my turn signals will flash every other time I start the bike. And I’ll hear a buzzing sound from the speedometer

Old 12-09-2018, 08:20 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

One thing to check is the connector going to the back of the speedometer, is it connected solid? If there is a buzzing from the speedometer and intermittent I would hazard a guess and say that the speedometer is the issue, was the bike out in the rain? If so I would remove the speedometer and put it in a bag with some instant rice to dry it out, but likely the speedometer is still sealed and this will not fix the issue. Replacement will likely be necessary.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:50 PM
avasquez097
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
One thing to check is the connector going to the back of the speedometer, is it connected solid? If there is a buzzing from the speedometer and intermittent I would hazard a guess and say that the speedometer is the issue, was the bike out in the rain? If so I would remove the speedometer and put it in a bag with some instant rice to dry it out, but likely the speedometer is still sealed and this will not fix the issue. Replacement will likely be necessary.
it was not directly out in the rain, I had it under a canopy. I rode the bike when the roads were still wet and it definitely got a little wet too but nothing too crazy. I did go into the back of the odometer to check the wiring and everything was fine and plugged in. Actually after I did that it does not turn on anymore at all, I don’t hear buzzing from it anymore either. It’s as if it’s completely dead. If I do end up needing a new whole odometer, does anyone here have any experience with aftermarket ones? I’d like to have a cool led with rpms and a clock. I’ve seen some online but I’m not sure if they’re worth it but they are cheaper than buying a harley branded one.