Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

04 wide glide electrical headache

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 12:37 PM
Scooter1962
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 wide glide electrical headache

I recently bought a used 04 wide glide from a Harley Davidson dealership for my son in high school anyways the bike broke down when I rode it only on the third ride has less than 50 miles on it since purchase anyways after several attempts to get it fix then found out ecm/icm was shorted out and wires from handlebars going to main harnesses in frame just taped together not soldered or with any connectors and it caused shorted out problems I bought new main harness and handle bar switches all with connectors tried running main harness back into frame and it gets stuck about half way tried several times even using strings or even wire glide line still the same issue finally decided to run it along the side of the frame going behind the fuse box then crossing over to the right side in front of battery box then into that harness strap that's on the frame and towards the front of the bike and hooked up handlebar controls and everything else the issue is has anyone done this before or had this problem will it work or cause other problems it seems like a good idea and also an easier access to wiring I haven't finished yet due to tank and fenders being repainted like I said I bought it for my son as a gift and want to make it right for him but I don't know if what I did will work or will it lead to other electrical issues please I need some insite before I go any further

Old 12-13-2018, 12:51 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

It will be easier to route wires through the frame if you take them out of the connector. That is what I did when I replaced a faulty handlebar switch and replaced a wiring harness that was routed through the frame of the bike. I used the Service Manual along with several videos on YouTube that show how to disassemble/reassemble the various connectors Harley uses on their bikes. Routing wires in the way you described can expose them to damage and eventually lead to other electrical problems.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:02 PM
Scooter1962
2nd Gear

There is something stuck up in there I tried several times to dislodge it u can't see it cause it's about half way up the backbone tried coat hangers and even a flex long rod and it will not break free used a guild line and still can't get past it I don't know what else to do has anyone tried going up the right side of the frame I heard it was only done with the dyna class bikes being wired into the back bone why just the dyna class and if others didn't go thru the back bone then how were the main wire harness ran there has to be another way or someone had to run accross the same problems I did

Old 12-13-2018, 01:38 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Are you following the original wire harness path? If so then there should be a detachable cable tray under the tank on the backbone of the frame that the cable should have run in. See http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....ESS%20ASSEMBLY for details it would be item number 11 on the sheet.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:53 PM
Scooter1962
2nd Gear

Instead of running it back thru the frame like it was I did run it along the right side of the back bone and used that harness support that was there and it wasn't being used on the right side of the frame but now I worry if I made a mistake will it cause other issues I don't have the tank finished or fenders so I can't see if the harness will interfere with the mounting of the tank or with it get damaged by the heat of the motor

Old 12-13-2018, 02:04 PM
Scooter1962
2nd Gear

Has anyone attempted this before there's no way to get what ever it is out of the frame that's stuck in there it's jammed up tight I bought this bike like this and didn't know it had these problems til it broke down the shop here wanted 3024.00 to fix it and I can't afford that with the payments of the bike and the cost of insurance and the bad thing it was bought as a gift for my son and he never even got to ride it it just sits in the garage and all he gets to do is just sit on it or look at it since bike was used it was bought as is and Harley shop we bought it from won't fix it without me paying total cost for repairs they won't even try and help us out with repair cost so I decided to do it myself

Old 12-13-2018, 05:32 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

I would investigate further to understand what is blocking the way of the wiring. There are inexpensive endoscopes that attach to your smartphone and have LED lighting. Not a big investment and may be worth considering?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1