Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

12.1 volts Trickle Charger Working?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 11:29 AM
Road Gliderman
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 12.1 volts Trickle Charger Working?

I went out and tested the battery today after the bike has been sitting for a month. 12.1 volts is the reading I got and the trickle charger was green indicating it was charged, although after plugging it back in it went to charge mode again. Or is my battery going?

Old 01-08-2019, 03:47 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Batt is probably fine, if you are using a tender (not a trickle charger) this is the way they operate. The voltage will float for extended periods of being connected. Trickle charger will kill the battery by over charging it.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:17 PM
Buster217
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 160 Posts

From what I've read, 12.1 volts at no load would indicate that the battery is somewhere between 20% and 50% of full charge. Seems like maybe something is wrong. What is the voltage at the terminals when the charger is charging?

Old 01-13-2019, 11:25 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

12.1 vdc read across the terminals of a static 12.6 vdc battery indicates that it is not fully charged and with a trickle charger connected, it should definitely be reading more than 12.7 vdc. To be maintaining a positive level, it should be 13 vdc or more when connected and measured across the battery terminals or it is not charging. The battery could be shorting and the charger cannot deliver the current it requires, or the charger could be bad, or both.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:01 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

If the battery has been sitting at 12.1 and goes green on a smart trickle charger, it's starting to go bad. The impedance of the battery is going up and the battery maintainer can increase the voltage to somewhere around 13V without much current. You might be able to recover the battery if you draw come current out of it and charge it a couple times.. I use a cheap HF load tester and a semi smart Napa Charger. Load test the battery, then charge.. Do that a couple times and with a little luck the battery can come back. This works really well for AGM batteries.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:25 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

If you are going to attempt to resurrect this battery, you should not forget the fact and the Murphy factor...the fact is that battery is not going to give you very many more cranks and the Murphy factor is that it will give up the last crank when you are leaving for a nice long road trip with your bros...or when you are in the boonies and stop to eat or gas

Get a new HD battery, check out your charging system, and forgetaboutit

Old 01-14-2019, 10:45 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Well you really don't want to run on a battery that has issues. After rejuvenation, you need to check CCA and self discharge rate. While most auto places check CCA, self discharge rate takes time.

When is doubt, replace..

Old 01-14-2019, 11:38 AM
Road Gliderman
Cruiser

So an update I ordered a new smart charger Schumacher 2A which was a replacement for what I did have Schumacher 2/4 amp will have to see when it arrives whether it will bring it back. I now have solar trickle charger hooked up for the last couple of days. Maybe it would be better to just let it go down until new one arrives, will check voltage today.

P.S. When I checked battery originally I did not have the charger connected, I unplugged it the tested battery.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:53 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

If you keep at it, I am sure you will soon get to the bottom of your problem while picking up some valuable lessons and experience on how your system works. Good Luck

Old 02-05-2019, 09:53 AM
Road Gliderman
Cruiser

So thought I would post an update, ended up buying a new Schumacher 2A charger maintainer and had to wait a couple of week for it to come in. Through the Polar Vortex I had no charger, thought it would freeze the battery I wouldn't have to worry about the charger. Plugged it in a week ago and checked it today without the charger plugged in and 12.55V so it was the charger and we are back in business. Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply: 12.1 volts Trickle Charger Working?