Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Did my Battery Tender kill my battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 06:59 PM
bigjosh42
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Did my Battery Tender kill my battery?

I put a brand new battery in my 07 Softail last April. I have had it plugged into a Harley supersmart tender since riding season was over in late November. Last week I went out to the garage and noticed the light on tender was completely off. I unplugged it from the wall, plugged back in, still nothing. I checked the outlet- it was fine. I chalked it up to the tender failing after a few years. Just picked up a new tender at the dealer, plugged it in, and it lights up, but the lights would not change color when I plugged the bike into it. Turned the ignition on and absolutely nothing came on at all. No fuel pump, lights, anything. It's like there wasnt a battery even in the bike. I checked all fuses and connections, all looked fine. Just tested the battery with my multimeter, it's showing "0.0".... to make sure there wasn't an issue with the multimeter, I checked the battery on my other bike and it's working fine- not plugged into a tender for the same about of time, reading 11.9. 2 questions here- is it even possible for a battery less than a year old to have absolutely no juice in it at all? And has anyone ever heard of a tender failing and destroying a battery like this? It's all odd and really frustrating. The bike not plugged into a tender has a battery that's really low, but as expected. And the one plugged in, until it failed, is completely dead... bike ran fine all summer with no electrical issues, including sitting for 3 weeks un-tendered while I was on my honeymoon.

Any insight or anyone else have anything like this happen??

Old 01-30-2019, 08:32 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjosh42
I put a brand new battery in my 07 Softail last April. I have had it plugged into a Harley supersmart tender since riding season was over in late November.

?
Sorry but I got a chuckle out of the words Harley and supersmart in the same sentence!
yes, the tender MAY have killed the battery.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:41 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Take the batt to get a proper charge first, then see what the tender does. If the batt doesn't take a charge I would say that it was killed. AGM batts are more resiliant than the wet cell batts of yesteryear and you may be fine.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:45 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Batteries can be unpredictable and predictable. If you don't use it, you could lose it...maybe. Good practice is that you should ALWAYS crank your bike or deep cycle the battery at least once a month over the winter months. I know that some folks believe in putting the tender on and forgetting about it for 4-5 month without problems, but in truth, batteries and tenders are really not supposed to be connected a left unattended for months at a time without cold crank cycling the battery. That can very well kill the battery and tender, especially one stored in a cold garage or shed. There are a few likely scenarios, one being that your old tender went bad and presented resistance across the terminals and completely discharged your battery or the battery shorted and damaged the tender and now the battery will not take or hold a charge. I wonder how many amps it draws on an automotive charger...

Get a new battery and put it on the tender and crank it up and let it run for 15-30 minutes every few weeks.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:54 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13

Get a new battery and put it on the tender and crank it up and let it run for 15-30 minutes every few weeks.
While your battery might like that treatment, your poor air cooled engine should never be run “15-30 minutes” while sitting still. Terrible advice in MY opinion.

The following 2 users liked this post by jbarr1:
ohioflhs (01-31-2019), username already exists (02-01-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 09:06 AM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by jbarr1

While your battery might like that treatment, your poor air cooled engine should never be run “15-30 minutes” while sitting still. Terrible advice in MY opinion.
That's what I have also heard over the years from numerous sources.

But...., somewhere not so long ago I read, and can't remember the source, that you need to "exercise" so to speak your battery some over the winter months while it is parked. It was suggested that every so often you simply unplug the tender for a day or two then plug it back up. Any of you guys ever hear or believe in this practice?

Old 01-31-2019, 12:39 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

If it is less than a year old you may get it replaced warranty. If so I would check out one of the new lithium batteries Harley sells. Takes a different type of trickle charger

Old 01-31-2019, 12:47 PM
RDHIGH
Tourer
Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

No - a tender wont kill your batt. It wont charge it cause the volts are too low. It doesnt even think its connected . A battery just sitting will chemically produce some sort of charge- so if it still reads 0.0 volts- you got a shorted battery. Its garbage now- it will never take a proper charge again. Sorry.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:54 PM
ryan06
Tourer

Received 135 Likes on 70 Posts

On my old bikes without security systems that drain batteries, I would plug in a battery tender once a month in the winter, and it would top up the battery in about 20 minutes. They aren't like that now.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:19 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,291 Likes on 1,905 Posts

There’s good information on both Deltran and Yuasa web sites.
I keep an eye on ours and they stay on the tenders all winter and even in the summer if they are in the garage they are hooked up., The bikes have not been started in 2 1/2 months. Both bikes have batteries that are 4 years old and still strong.

Dont deep cycle any battery it will shorten the life.https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technic...ult-diagnosis/

Quick Reply: Did my Battery Tender kill my battery?