Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

LED strips, but w/o remote? (Apply power, turns on automatically?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 01:57 PM
Will Belden
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Question LED strips, but w/o remote? (Apply power, turns on automatically?)

So, the wife wants LED strips. No problem, I can install them. I understand relays and switched power, etc.

The problem is, she doesn't want to fool with a remote. All these kits I see, you provide power, then you have to turn them on with a remote. Killing the juice turns them off, obviously, but never the other way around.

Are there any kits, that anyone knows of, that just turn on when power is supplied? She really likes the brake light feature, like I have on mine. So, multi-color seems obvious. And yes, I know you need a remote to change or set the color initially, but ... apply power, come on white. I just can't find that simple combo.

(Too bad the little controllers for these kits don't offer a physical switch to allow for that... would be SO nice.)

Would appreciate any insight anyone has.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:53 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

well if you do not want color change, just install the color she wants and tie it to the acc fuse.
now there is always a hack but without part in hand, hard to say if possible. if and a big IF, i wanted a setup like that but do not want to carry the remote, i would hack the controller, hard wire out to a push bottom conveniently located and mount the remote on the machine somewhere.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:22 AM
Will Belden
Tourer

Originally Posted by bustert
i would hack the controller
Unfortunately, while I *am* a programmer, that kind of electronics detail will likely continue to elude me. A problem solver by nature, I can see a million ways in my head to do it, but the skill required to pull off more than theory escapes me.

I reached out to Custom Dynamics to see if they had a controller that was auto-on, but just like every other kit, the basic response is "it'll be tied to your battery, so we aren't going to have a kit that'll let you screw yourself over". It's too bad, too, because if you put the thing on a relay, which only closes the circuit to provide power if another power feed allows it, it shouldn't ever be a problem. So annoying.

Funny, but things that are wired to 110v in your home, using "real" electricity...they don't have this limitation. Guess they don't figure you'll ever "run the house batteries down". Hmmmm. Maybe I should look at RV stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 02-14-2019, 10:16 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts

You bypass their wired in controller, wire the power and ground with a remote wire and relay directly to switched power.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:28 AM
Will Belden
Tourer

Well, these controllers, they are sealed, and the "power" isn't a single wire. The specialized wires (typical for LED strips) have four wires outbound. I suspect one is ground and the other three are varied-voltage to each of the R,G,B. But I haven't investigated thoroughly to ascertain.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:11 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Will Belden
Well, these controllers, they are sealed, and the "power" isn't a single wire. The specialized wires (typical for LED strips) have four wires outbound. I suspect one is ground and the other three are varied-voltage to each of the R,G,B. But I haven't investigated thoroughly to ascertain.
I am sure that is correct. Essentially for what the OP wants he may have to build his own.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:48 AM
Bizzarro.FXDL
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Walmart carries single color kits for $20. Bought the red and it is VERY bright, but wired right to battery, with a hard toggle to turn on/ off. Sounds exactly what you are looking for.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:13 AM
Will Belden
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bizzarro.FXDL
Sounds exactly what you are looking for.
Not quite. I do have to have multicolor if I want to run white for 99% of the time and red when brakes are applied. That requires a controller.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:54 AM
Bizzarro.FXDL
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Will Belden
Not quite. I do have to have multicolor if I want to run white for 99% of the time and red when brakes are applied. That requires a controller.
To keep things simple, could also wire in white to toggle, then get a second set of red and tap in to the brake power with no toggle needed and put wherever you'd like?

Old 02-23-2019, 09:03 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

what brand strip are you talking about?
also what are you trying to accomplish? normal white then red for braking?

Quick Reply: LED strips, but w/o remote? (Apply power, turns on automatically?)