Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

2019 Iron 883 Voltage Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 11:57 AM
Slauenwhiteb
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2019 Iron 883 Voltage Regulator

So, I'm very new to the HD Forums, but here goes.
I have a 2019 HD Iron 883, as the title suggests, and my bike has gone through 4 volatge regulators since I bought the bike in November. I would love to know if anyone else has heard of Sportsters, or any model really, has had a major problem with VRs. I also know there is a three phase option by Cycle Electric, however being under warranty I'm hesitant to spend the money. If anyone has had any experience with this brand over OEM parts, feel free to share. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

The following users liked this post:
keggenberg (03-29-2022)
Old 04-16-2019, 03:33 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,299 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Welcome to the Forum from Utah!

4 VR's in less than 6 months. What does your dealer say, have they checked the complete charging system, stator and conductors? Have you done any mods to your bike's electrical system?

Cycle Electric is a good company, you should give them a call and ask for advice.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:59 PM
Slauenwhiteb
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Vernal
Welcome to the Forum from Utah!

4 VR's in less than 6 months. What does your dealer say, have they checked the complete charging system, stator and conductors? Have you done any mods to your bike's electrical system?

Cycle Electric is a good company, you should give them a call and ask for advice.
Thanks for the quick reply!
They just keep replacing the regulator hoping that'll fix the problem. They're "not sure what the problem is. Everything we've tested is working as it should." I have added a heated jacket, but after the second replacement the jacket wasn't an issue. Now I just had my 1000 mile service on saturday and I made the 45 minute ride home without having the jacket even with me and the light came on. The next morning I checked everything and the regulator seemed to be working. I went back up that way to see a friend and the regulator died. I know because I tested it (i'm a GM service technician. I keep a multimeter in my backpack). Again, no jacket. Not sure what's going on but it doesn't seem to be related to extra electrical load

Old 04-16-2019, 06:18 PM
Vernal
Club Member

The first thing I would do is call Harley Tech line, 1 800 258 2464 and tell them your bikes history. I wouldn't make any changes to the bike, let HD do it all.

Do you get any codes?

What Voltage do you see on the Battery when the VR was working? Has anyone checked the current out of the VR, DC Amp clamp? Make sure ground 1 is clean ? Do the VRs smell burnt, excessive current would cause high heat.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:56 PM
Slauenwhiteb
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Vernal
Do you get any codes?

What Voltage do you see on the Battery when the VR was working? Has anyone checked the current out of the VR, DC Amp clamp? Make sure ground 1 is clean ? Do the VRs smell burnt, excessive current would cause high heat.
I did have codes. I don't remember the numbers, but the ECM had System Voltage Low and the BCM had a code for the right turn signal, which i thought was odd.
When the VR worked I was getting about 13.5 @ idle and 13.8-14 @ 2000 rpm. I asked the technician last time the VR was replaced, and they did not test amperage. I also don't have an amp clamp, but I'm thinking about getting one lately. As far as Ground 1 goes, I'm not sure where to find it, but i'm guessing they didn't look. I asked to see the old regulators when they were off the bike and both of them had melted the epoxy inside. Definitely a heat issue

Old 04-17-2019, 07:57 AM
Vernal
Club Member

There is a partition in front of the Battery that the grds attach to.
Has the battery been swapped out?

Old 04-17-2019, 08:47 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

an inline amp meter between the vr output and system will give some helpful info. when the battery is charged, the vr runs the machine, battery only making up short fall. now if the system has a defect and the vr never sees cut-off then the vr force feeds the system and can over load the vr with heat. you could have a small short to ground in the vr output wire, not enough to really cause melt down but enough to keep the vr from seeing cut-off. this also could occur if the connection is iffy and has high resistance as in a poor crimp. do not rule out the battery.
i would get the factory rep involved, seems like the shop is a parts changer, eventually, it could bite you in the ****.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:42 AM
Slauenwhiteb
Stage IV

Originally Posted by bustert
an inline amp meter between the vr output and system will give some helpful info. when the battery is charged, the vr runs the machine, battery only making up short fall. now if the system has a defect and the vr never sees cut-off then the vr force feeds the system and can over load the vr with heat. you could have a small short to ground in the vr output wire, not enough to really cause melt down but enough to keep the vr from seeing cut-off. this also could occur if the connection is iffy and has high resistance as in a poor crimp. do not rule out the battery.
i would get the factory rep involved, seems like the shop is a parts changer, eventually, it could bite you in the ****.
They definitely like to replace parts. I'm not sure what the root cause is, but I put on a wiring harness for my battery tender about a month back and this time, their root cause is that it's my fault the battery terminals were loose. Which is funny because i tightened them last thursday when I adjusted the shocks for the extra weight of riding with my girlfriend. Then I brought it in on saturday for a 500 dollar first service and no one said anything about loose battery connections. As far as I know they haven't tested amps or voltage drop on any of the wires they just keep saying everything is working as it should

Old 07-14-2019, 05:27 AM
blacksky909
Novice

Originally Posted by Slauenwhiteb
They definitely like to replace parts. I'm not sure what the root cause is, but I put on a wiring harness for my battery tender about a month back and this time, their root cause is that it's my fault the battery terminals were loose. Which is funny because i tightened them last thursday when I adjusted the shocks for the extra weight of riding with my girlfriend. Then I brought it in on saturday for a 500 dollar first service and no one said anything about loose battery connections. As far as I know they haven't tested amps or voltage drop on any of the wires they just keep saying everything is working as it should
You're not alone, my 2019 Forty Eight is going in for its 4th voltage regulator in 3 months/1100 miles of ownership. Apparently there is a defective batch, have you had any more replacements?

Old 05-21-2020, 05:43 PM
Larry Kopp
Stage I

I just had same problem, 2019 harley sportster 883 iron - 4,800 miles - just stopped dead, the harley dealer says its the voltage regulator -- how many times before they "recall" it; how does that work on a bike?

The following users liked this post:
Streetbeast88 (04-19-2023)

Quick Reply: 2019 Iron 883 Voltage Regulator