Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Factory Canbus electronic speedometers limitations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 11:59 AM
Stacker9000
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Canbus electronic speedometers limitations?

So, I have a 2013 Breakout that the speedometer needle went glitchy & finally quit working. (all other speedometer functions work appropriately)
I checked the speed sensor, & it was absolutely clean, i know that doesn't mean it couldn't be a problem still, but its still ticking off mileage accurately.
So, after discovering the cost of an OEM new one, I opted to buy a used unit from Ebay that seller stated could be paired by Harley service or a service garage with specific equipment.
After multiple phone calls, I am being told, a new marriage cannot be done, speedo's are locked to their original model.
Is this true? Can anyone specify why a speedo cant be flashed to use on another bike? especially if the ECM holds all the info in memory?

I just find it a waste to make a speedo a "one & done" unit, especially since I come from the generation that pieced my first few bikes together from swap meets & junkyards!

Thanks for any information that may explain this.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:00 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

all has to do with fraud. probably big brother also
the speedo acts like a bucket brigade and sends data when the ecu calls for it. that part is ram but when the speedo was assigned a machine, the marriage data was burned into rom. the older speedo had eprom which was re-writable.
a tit-for-tat exact model change would probably have the same address so the ecu can find it but maybe not so on inter-models or on ecu which is re programmed.
have you had it tested. it maybe repairable but at a component level.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:38 AM
Stacker9000
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATE!!! Issue resolved!

so, I contacted Low Life Industries, & the great technicians there were able to remarry the used speedo to my bike at a very reasonable cost! so, it is possible to swap married speedo's, but the technician stated the bike must have a bcm module to be able to re-marry.