Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Repaired cloudy daymaker headlight

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 12:00 AM
Abadrs
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Repaired cloudy daymaker headlight

I had asked a few questions on here concerning repairing my 2014 Harley Ultra Limited daymaker headlight. But didn't get any replies, so I decided to give it a go. What I did was remove headlight from bike and began to heat where the glass lens is sealed to the housing. I couldn't get it to budge. Keeping the sealing area at or near 200f degrees I removed sticker over breather hole and blew air pressure from a compressor at 120 psi until part of lens popped loose. I was using a rubber tipped blow gun and just popping air into housing until it came loose. It took me a while longer to get the rest of the lens loose using a wooden pry bar I ground from some scrap wood. I ground it to a knife point then kept working at it till it came completely loose. I would not recommend a metal screwdriver for fear of shattering lens. What I found on the inside of the glass was almost like a frosting. Window cleaner and rubbing alcohol wouldn't touch it. I had to scrub with a scotch brite pad with some dish soap. To get it off..I didn't find any of the descent packs inside headlight that one heard was on there. I did put a couple in when reinstalling lens. Unfortunately I only took one pic but if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by Abadrs; 07-14-2019 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:34 AM
Shakin
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlight

What did you clean it with ?
Is it a warranted , under extended service plan ?

Old 07-14-2019, 12:53 PM
Abadrs
Advanced

After trying various cleaners (none made a dent) I scrubbed out with a scotchbrite pad used to clean dishes and dish soap. And even with that it was pretty tough to get started. I bought bike used with 21,000 miles so no warranty. I have read in other forum posts that Harley wouldn't warranty them.
I did see a YouTube video showing a guy cleaning the driving light lens. But they are plastic and waaaaay easier to get apart.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:51 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 892 Likes on 534 Posts

So what/where are the end results? All I see is the lens removed???

Old 07-14-2019, 06:26 PM
Abadrs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
So what/where are the end results? All I see is the lens removed???

Old 07-17-2019, 04:56 PM
Shakin
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlight

Hey , thank you , I will take that route in the fall !

Old 07-17-2019, 05:29 PM
Abadrs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Shakin
Hey , thank you , I will take that route in the fall !
No problem, any way I can help let me know. If the glass lens comes off easier than mine it's an hour or so job at best.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:41 PM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

Thanks for the information. Mine hasn't frosted yet, but I will remember this if it does in the future.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:44 AM
Carlos G Godfrog
Road Captain
Received 169 Likes on 98 Posts

What causes the frosting ? Can it be prevented ?

Old 07-18-2019, 04:43 PM
Abadrs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carlos G Godfrog
What causes the frosting ? Can it be prevented ?
Good question.. According to a YouTube video I watched there SHOULD have been dessicant packs in my light (little moisture absorbing packets) but there wasn't. On the YouTube video I watched, the guys packs were leaking the powder that's in them. His theory was the powder accumulated on the lens. But like I said mine did not have them and it appeared to still be factory sealed. The natural guess would be moisture but it was hard and would not come off with window cleaner or rubbing alcohol. I could scrape out with my thumb nail. I did put a few of the dessicant packs in my headlight on the outside chance it was repeated moisture buildup. As far as preventing it, I'd say there's basically nothing you can do other than disassembling light if it happens. It's really not that hard to do.

Quick Reply: Repaired cloudy daymaker headlight