Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Help With Custom Tail Light/Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:14 PM
RKTonyC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With Custom Tail Light/Turn Signals

Yeah...I posted this in a couple areas, but I really need the help.

Im having a problem getting setting up my aftermarket tailights and turn signals. I was trying my best to try and use the factory wiring, and am having a devil of a time. Any of you electrical gurus please enlighten me on what I need to do.

For a quick run down on what Im doing...The model is an FLHRSI. I decided to give her a complete make over, and totally change her looks. Part of the change is a chopped rear fender. I'm using the following:

2 single power wire, self grounding turn signals

1 DOT Sparto rear taillight w/red and black wires

The stock rear harness has the following leads:

#1 Orange/White - Tail Lamp (International HDI)
#2 Brown - Right Tail light
#3 Blue -Tail Lamp (Domestic)
#4 Red/Yellow - Brake Light
#5 Violet - Left Tail light
#6 Black - Ground

I have tried all kinds of combinations of wiring...

If I run a ground wire from the turn signals to the ground in the harness I get really weak running lights from all lights, and when if I hit either turn signal it will work weakly, but the other turn signal and tail light blinks ever so slightly, and I have no brake light.

If I run a ground wire from the turn signals to the ground in the harness, run the power from the tail light to both the blue and red/yellow I get dim lights and when I hit either turn signal the other lights blink ever so slightly, and I have no brake light.

If I self ground the turn signals and run the power from the tail light to the blue, the turn signals work fine, but the brake light stays on with no running light.

If I self ground the turn signals and run the power from the tail light to the red/yellow and get the brake light and turn signals to work, and they are nice and bright. But with this set up I have no running lights on either the turn signals or tail light.

How the heck can I get all three to work correctly with running lights on the turn signals and tail light and keep the turn signals and brake light working?

Update: I have found info stating that the Sparto may be a self grouding tail light, with the two wires being one for the tail light, and one for the brake light.

Last edited by RKTonyC; 05-26-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:12 PM
RKTonyC
Advanced

Solved!

Old 09-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Bobbed Out
Tourer

how did you solve this? i'm in a similar situation now