Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Autometer 19466 Speedo/Tach combo install - just say no.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 05:16 PM
genedjr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autometer 19466 Speedo/Tach combo install - just say no.

First, I am very disapointed in Autometer. While this speedo/tach combo may work with the Road King electronics (I still have other issues) it is certainly not fitted or a direct replacement for the stock unit. $310 (best price I could find online) and the device clearly does not provide a complete replacment for the stock speedo. I am so discusted with this experience that I will never buy another Autometer product. Now on to the install.

I decided to add a tachometer to 'The King' and began looking around. I have a 100 year anniversary bike so adding a tack to the handle bars would remove a 100 year badge, so that was out. I saw several Speedo/Tach combos and liked the look and on-line installation guide for the Autometer. Granted it was for a Fat Boy and I knew there would be differences, but WOW - I was simply not prepared for the amount of fab work I would need to do.

If I had known it would take litterally 10+ hours to install this monster, I would have bought something else.

First, this meter is not plug and play. You have 2 choices, cut the wiring harness or purchase a Deusch DTM04-12PB (http://www.deutschconnector.com/prod...onnectors.html)
I opted for the solid nickel pins for the extra $6. While I did recieve exactly what I wanted and ordered, it took over 10 days to get it. Not speedy, but very accurate.

They also offer a custom assembly with colored wires, but the cost was prohibitive for me at an additional $50. Wiring up the plug was almost effortless, in fact it was the only part of the install that went as planned.

After getting the 10 wires in the plug, matching the ones used on the bike, I started putting the wires where they needed to go and I discovered that all of the wires are not used (or needed) - 2 of the 10 are not used, check engine lamp and security lamp. Again annoying as I was led to believe this was for a 2003 RoadKing. But wait, it gets much more interesting.

One of the things the instructions from Autometer warn you about is the "some" late model HDs use a VSS that requires a +5vDC power source not a +12vDC power source provided by the meter. So I took out my trusty service manual and it clearly shows that the Speed Sensor is +12vDC - while I am still troubleshooting some issues (see my other post) I beleive that I have fried the VSS. (I now have a +5vDC regulator in place for when I replace the VSS - the transistor looking thing in the picture.)

Well, on to the physical install. The HD meter cam out easily and the Autometer went into the dash easily, but that was the end of the easy part. The meter is deep enough that with the mounting bracked in place the dash will not mount flush down on the tank. It took a quite a bit of spying under the dash with a flashligh frmo several angles to figure out the fuel vent hose hits the new wiring and the bracket. So I bend the crap out of the spades and wires on the new meter to get them to clear and I used my coping saw to hack through the aluminum mounting bracket and try another test fit. After three fittings, everything seemed to clear, but again it just does not sit flush.

Now the screws that hold the meter to the bracket are too long and to not allow flush fitting. I mean, wow - this is pure BS - the advertisements and instructions say this is for a 2003 Road King. So I run out to ACE and pick up some very thin 8x32 nuts, use them to tighten the bracket and cut off the way to long mounting screws.

And finally - with much trial and error the dash once again sits flush. This is a struggle because of my choice to not cut the stock wiring harness. There will be alot more room if you choose to cut the harness.

By now I am very pissed off. What should have taken an hour or two has taked over 8. I really wanted both sets of indicator lights to work, but I was out of patience. So (after seeing how much the indicator light bars costs <$40) I chopped off the wires, removed the indicator housing and tossed it.

But its done, and with the hopefulness that only the VSS is toast, I am riding again.

The first picture is the back of the stock speedo with the DTM04-12CB connector.
The second picture is mid-way through the assembly of the DTM04-12PB plug.
The third picture is the final assemble looking under the dash.
And wha-la, the last picture is the remounted dash.
...gene

Attached Thumbnails Autometer 19466 Speedo/Tach combo install - just say no.-dsc01450.jpg   Autometer 19466 Speedo/Tach combo install - just say no.-dsc01454.jpg   Autometer 19466 Speedo/Tach combo install - just say no.-dsc01464.jpg   Autometer 19466 Speedo/Tach combo install - just say no.-dsc01465.jpg  

Last edited by genedjr; 09-14-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:45 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

There is no reason for the rpm scale on the tach to be 8000,7k would be fine and it would be easier to read w

Old 05-07-2013, 11:26 AM
jetmech74
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I know this is an ancient post..However I was wondering the outcome of your experience. Thanks