Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

97 springer softail headlight not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 11:16 PM
19softail97
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 springer softail headlight not working

Recently the headlight stopped working the bulb is good , I checked the connector to the bulb ok, when the circuit breaker for the headlight is plugged in it clicks on and off thought may be bad circuit breaker. I tried new one still does the same thing was wondering if anybody may have wiring schematic and any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks

Old 03-15-2014, 06:08 AM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey, I'm in MA and have a 95 Springer myself...I also have a service manual in the garage but unfortunately I'm tied up all week end.....As soon as I can get a look at it I can get back to you...A few others may even have an answer for you before I can get to it..Welcome to the HDForums its a very helpful place...

Old 03-15-2014, 09:06 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

It sounds like there is a bare wire touching ground.

Remove the dash panel, maybe something will be obvious.

Isolate the main harness by unplugging the connectors to the rear fender lights, the connector for the left hand control switches and the connector for the front turn signals.

Once the main harness is isolated, you can check for a short.

Battery disconnected, wire at circuit breaker removed from breaker.

With your ohmmeter, check the resistance of the blue wire (the wire that was connected to the breaker).

One probe to the blue wire, the other probe to the frame.

Resistance should be infinity. Low resistance indicates the short is in that wire. Move the wires around while checking and see if that changes the resistance reading.

If the resistance check is good, reconnect the wire to the breaker, connect battery and see if the circuit breaker trips, move the wires around.

If the circuit breaker didn`t trip, you can assume that the problem is not in the main harness.

Go to the connector at the rear fender wiring, and check the resistance between the blue wire and the frame, move wires around, etc. If no problem is found, re connect to main harness and see if breaker trips.

Same routine for the connector at the front turn signals.

When you check the resistance at the connector for the left hand control switch, check the resistance with the switch in low beam position and high beam position.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:06 AM
19softail97
1st Gear

thanks for the insight i have the rear harness disconnected and the portion of the front harness disconnected and still getting the same results. I am not sure if if i have all the connectors unplugged to the hand controls but with will further investigate this evening!

Old 03-16-2014, 10:27 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by 19softail97
thanks for the insight i have the rear harness disconnected and the portion of the front harness disconnected and still getting the same results. I am not sure if if i have all the connectors unplugged to the hand controls but with will further investigate this evening!
Be patient, you`ll find it.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:50 AM
hdsporty05
Advanced

I had this same problem last night on my 97 bad boy. The indicator light on the dash is lit up for the brights but I get nothing on high or low. Haven't had a chance to try anything yet I just thought I would comment that I have the same problem.