Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Reconnecting Battery Cables

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 12:10 AM
shutterfly39
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reconnecting Battery Cables

Hi all. Hoping someone can help me solve a mystery. I have a 2007 Harley Softail Deluxe. I replaced the battery the other day and failed to pay close enough attention when I took it apart that I do not recall in what order the cables/connectors get attached. (I know that you reconnect positive side first.) There are 3 cables/connectors that are on the positive side and 2 cables/connectors on the negative side. Does it matter in what order you reconnect them? I've attached a few photos. The reason I ask is because every time I try and start the bike now, it blows a fuse -- namely fuse #6 (Accessories). I am wondering if it is because I'm connecting the battery cables improperly. Something is shorting out the fuse and I'm guessing it has something to do with how I reconnected the battery. Any assistance is appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails Reconnecting Battery Cables-harley1.jpg   Reconnecting Battery Cables-harley2.jpg   Reconnecting Battery Cables-harley3.jpg  
Old 09-25-2013, 08:32 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The basic rule is to remove the negative first, when taking the battery off the bike, connect the positive first when adding the battery to the bike. After that it is down to whether those extra wires are connected to the correct battery terminal. You need a wiring diagram to check for them.

With the blown fuse removed, do the bikes electrics all work OK? Don't try to start it, just check that all the lights, horn, etc work. If they do it may be that one of those extra wires is on the wrong terminal.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:43 AM
shutterfly39
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I will pull the fuse that keeps blowing and see if everything still lights up. All 3 cables connected to the positive have RED on them (see photos) so it would seem odd that they would go to the negative terminal but who knows! Something is clearly not hooked up right. I agree I need a wiring diagram. Unfortunately the manual doesn't have that much detail. I'll take another stab at it tonight. Thanks again!