Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Electrical/Lighting/Alarm (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/electrical-lighting-alarm-43/)
-   -   14 rk starter circuit problem? tried starting itself (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/electrical-lighting-alarm/980379-14-rk-starter-circuit-problem-tried-starting-itself.html)

mwhitey02 07-01-2014 04:58 PM

14 rk starter circuit problem? tried starting itself

So I posted this issue on a different topic page thinking my problem was mechanical, but after doing the research it appears to be electrical.
A couple days ago while working in the garage I heard a loud clattering sound coming from the bike.. (2500 miles) I ran over and immediately checked the kickstand, nothing out of ordinary and figured the front wheel may have turned to the side. Last night after getting gas, I started the bike and herd the same clattering. Immediately I shut down the bike checked neutral started it again and the same clunking for a second, then nothing.
Once I got home, I shut down the bike, hopped off walked away and heard the same clattering only this time to see my bike lunging forward against my corvette, then resting on its side after traveling 5 feet IN 1st GEAR!
After calling the local dealer to pick up the bike, I went out and tried starting the bike.. now the battery is dead and the starter solenoid is making the SAME NOISE I've been hearing.
Has anyone else had similar issues with the starter? I would like some ammo to use when trying to get Harley to not only cover the cost of repairing the bike but the corvette as well. Thanks!

mwhitey02 07-13-2014 05:33 PM

2014 Road King starter IS engaging while powered off

After a week at the dealer, the service manager has confirmed the starter IS engaging while the bike is keyed off. The factory is leading the investigation and everything is pointing toward the BCM. one important thing to note is HD confirmed they were having them same issue with another bike.

kc hog 07-13-2014 11:28 PM

No issues so far. At least the dealer has confirmed the problem. Hopefully they find a cure soon. Sucks about both vehicles.

GlidingJoe 07-14-2014 09:03 AM

Well thanks for the heads up.. I think I will be ensuring my bike is neutral when shut off.
Keep us posted as to the outcome if you.

GlidingJoe 07-14-2014 09:03 AM

Duplicate post.. Removed

mwhitey02 07-14-2014 11:01 AM

I'm just spreading the message here. At first the service manager was very skeptical about my story until he witnessed it.. Hell, I would be too! Hopefully for safety sake, it's isolated and you guys don't experience it. I just wanted to plant a seed in case you start hearing an intermittent clunking noise from your bike or your battery is suddenly low or dead after sitting.

oakmossy 07-14-2014 11:57 AM

funny good laugh

oakmossy 07-14-2014 11:57 AM

:icon_lolsign:trolling much? Give me a brake. Show a pic of your vette.

mwhitey02 07-14-2014 01:10 PM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by oakmossy (Post 12984831)
:icon_lolsign:trolling much? Give me a brake. Show a pic of your vette.

here ya go jackass

the vette was my fathers.. 28,000 original miles, one pic shows where the bike is always parked, the other where it finally stopped. I have no other room in the garage but behind the car, the scratches are from the crash bars on the bike.

any other non believers?

Attachment 389655

Attachment 389656

Attachment 389658

Attachment 389660

mwhitey02 07-16-2014 05:17 PM

So Harley has confirmed the problem lies in the BCM. Harley has authorized new one as well as all my damaged parts under warranty. I'm currently working with customer service for the property damage repairs.