Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Question on LED turn signals...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 05:45 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts
Default Question on LED turn signals...

I am looking to replace all my stock turn signals with LEDs. The bike is a 2014 FXDF with CANBUS wiring.

I already have the LED turn signal/mirrors fitted, which are wired into the spare connectors in the main wiring loom under the tank. These work just fine, but the flashing does not quite synchronise with the stock turn signals.

Anyway....I am going to go with the MotoGadget disk style LED bar end turn signals at the front, and the Arlen Ness direct bolt on LED rears.

To wire the bar end signals, I will first need to remove the stock signals and cut the wiring to them. The wiring runs from the signals, to the handlebar switch unit, and then is CANBUS to the rest of the bike. Fine.

So, I see this as an opportunity to simplify the wiring for the mirror/signals at the same time. Rather than have the wiring run down to the main loom, I would prefer to just connect the wiring for the bar end signals and mirror/signals together, and connect that to the original turn signal wiring where it runs into the switch block on the bars. This should means that the mirrors and bar ends would flash in perfect sync.

But......does anybody know if this will actually work and the mirror/signals will run fine off the stock wiring? The mirror/signals currently run into a "Y" harness and the Y harness has a very small circuit board in it. I am not sure what the function of this is - whether it is voltage regulation or load balancing for example.

I have also read that the '14 bikes no longer need load balancers for LEDs, but not sure whether that's correct or not.

Has anybody done this previously, or knows enough about LEDs with the newer CANBUS model bikes?

Old 09-04-2014, 12:25 PM
frankegd
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have only replaced all the stock turn signals with (Custom Dynamics) LED clusters, and there is no need for a load equalizer. The dash lights flash a lot faster. The fix is to use one sides turn signal for a minute, then the other side, and that fixed it. The ECU(?) will adapt to the new load/current.

I hope that helps

Thank you
FrankEGD

Old 09-04-2014, 03:21 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Thanks Frank,

The bar end turn signals arrived today, so I will stick them on over the weekend and see how it goes.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:33 AM
avietnamvet69
Supporter

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I too purchased the Custom Dynamics LED Mirrors. Which brake/turn signal wires did you connect to under your seat?

Thanks brother!
Any help is greatly appreciated! I got the front facing lights to work, its the rear facing red brake/turn signal wires giving me an issue.

Old 09-28-2022, 03:02 PM
joe98
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

As the other person stated , I believe only pre 2014 bikes would need a load equalizer or balancer. Custom dynamics website is very helpful and awesome customer service.