Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Street Bob will not start, no odometer, no blinkers

Old 08-28-2014, 09:54 AM
Jody858
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Bob will not start, no odometer, no blinkers

I probably sound like a broken record, but I searched and could not find any threads with my specific issue. My 2007 Street Bob will not start. Doesn't try to turn over, no clicking what so ever. When I turn on the ignition, I have head light, tail light, neutral light and oil light. I don't have an odometer readout at all, and the blinkers do not work. Here is all the TS I've done so far:

- Checked battery, nearly 12V with ignition on
- Battery in FOB, full 3V tested on volt meter
- Tested continuity of all fuses with volt meter and they all check out
- Ran direct power to starter for a second and it turns over
- checked for 12V coming in and going out of ignition
- checked starter switch for power, it's good
- replaced starter relay and system relay for good measure

A few details: I have led turn signals front and rear, and a badlands load equalizer wired in. It has all worked for months without issue. I relocated the ignition to the top of the tank like many others here, and it has worked for months without issue. When I pulled the tank dash to check the ignition, I double checked everything was plugged in.

The events leading up to this point involve me installing saddle bags. I had the bike on and off the lift for about a week with that project. I didn't have the FOB close to the bike the whole time, and I tripped the alarm a coupe of times.

My thoughts at this point: TSSM. I pulled the TSSM and visually inspected it. I can't see anything obviously wrong with it, but I have no idea how to test it. Could I have done something to the tip sensor? I had the jack under the bike several times. It seems unlikely this is the issue. I'm leaning towards the TSSM, but I'm not sure what else to check. With no odometer readout I can't check codes, or try to reset the TSSM. It's perplexing to have some electrical, but no odometer or blinkers specifically.

Any advice on what to check next is welcome. I don't have a Harley dealership in my town, but there are a few local shops that work on HD.

*EDIT*

I forgot to mention, I do hear the fuel pump kick on (pressurizing?) when the ignition is turned on and the switch is set to run. At least I think that's what I hear when I turn it on, right?

*EDIT 2*

I say TSSM, but I guess what I really have is the HFSM. My FOB doesn't have buttons. Once I walk away from the bike the alarm sets and the blinkers flash, at least it used to.

Last edited by Jody858; 08-28-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:39 PM
MacKo2000
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you ever figure this out? Mine just started doing the same thing. I had replaced the handlebars and all my wiring had checked out. Bike started and ran, several times. Then just yesterday I started it to move it tin the garage, shut it off, went back 5min later to move it back and nothing. I no longer get my beep beeps of the alarm when turn the ignition switch to on or when turning it off & walking away. I hear the fuel pump kick on when I flip the switch, but when i hit the start button nothing. turn signals no longer work, but the brake lights, headlights, and horn all work, I only have a red dot on my speedo. the (N)uetral and oil light appear when ignition is on. 2011 FXDWG Wide Glide.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:48 PM
RK El Guapo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just dropped mine off at Waugh Harley yesterday for a similar problem. Back in July, I was riding to work on my 2010 Road King and I noticed my turn signal indicators were not showing up on my dash. Then, I began having some hesitation issues about halfway there. They seemed to go away with a few twists of the throttle. Next, the engine cut out going up a hill. I coasted up to the top, then dropped gears and popped the clutch and got going again, but only momentarily. I was lucky enough to coast through a red light into the parking lot. No idiot lights were lit except a flashing ABS. After I let it sit a few minutes, I tried starting it again. It would pressurize, turn over and idle for about 20 seconds, only to die out again, like it was starving for fuel.

My first thought regarding the fuel cutting out was the fuel pump, as I've heard more than a few stories of them crapping out on 09-12 touring bikes. I went ahead and ordered and installed a new pump ( http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-176330...d-king-fb.html ). It was about time for an oil change and my plugs were rusty, so I went ahead and took care of all that, too. Though all of this made me feel better about the situation, it didn't actually accomplish anything positive in regards to the not running issue.

Hoping to find a simple solution, I pulled the side panel off and began going through each and every fuse, looking for a fault. No fuses blown, and the relays seem to be fine. Hands in the air, beer on the ground, I gave up for a while. I put it on the trickle charger and began saving for what is always an expensive visit to the shop.

When I pulled it off of the charger yesterday to load it onto the trailer for the trip to the motor doc, the dash wouldn't light up. Not a single light. No idiot lights, no speedometer, no odometer. The fuel gauge works fine, the headlights, road lamps, front and back turn signals, brake light, and even the fender lights work fine.

Keep in mind, folks, that this bike has more miles on it via boat and airplane than it does actually riding. A 2010 with just over 10k on it. She's PCS'd too many times, and now she seems to have an issue with being in Virginia again.

One point of odd, though. I bought this FLHP with 3 miles on it from Southside Harley in Virginia Beach. I have done a number of things to it(exhaust, intake, drop seat kit, headlights, road lights, tail lights, etc), but I've never had a supertuner program run on it. I had a PC-V on it back in 2011, but it died shortly after arriving in Honolulu, so I yanked it off and have been riding stock ECM ever since. When she rolled into the shop, they said she had a supertuner program update on the ECM. I know I've never done it, and I doubt SSHD would have done it. Does anyone know if FLHPs are commonly updated with a different tuner map than stock?

Old 11-30-2014, 09:40 PM
MacKo2000
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I swapped all my fuses & bingo back in business. They had all looked ok. Didn't seem any different from the last time I checked them but apparently that was the issue.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:37 AM
ringneck
6th Gear

Hey Jody, did you ever get this problem fixed? I have the same problem with my 07 streetbob.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:50 PM
william radcliffe
Stage I

Macko2000 is right...
I just had the same problem with my 08 flhp. Changed all the fuses and it fired right up.
9.99 for the fuses
2.39 for dielectric grease.
saved me hundreds at the dealership... thanks!!!

Old 05-05-2019, 12:53 PM
John Guilfoyle
Stage I

Spoiler

Originally Posted by Jody858
I probably sound like a broken record, but I searched and could not find any threads with my specific issue. My 2007 Street Bob will not start. Doesn't try to turn over, no clicking what so ever. When I turn on the ignition, I have head light, tail light, neutral light and oil light. I don't have an odometer readout at all, and the blinkers do not work. Here is all the TS I've done so far:

- Checked battery, nearly 12V with ignition on
- Battery in FOB, full 3V tested on volt meter
- Tested continuity of all fuses with volt meter and they all check out
- Ran direct power to starter for a second and it turns over
- checked for 12V coming in and going out of ignition
- checked starter switch for power, it's good
- replaced starter relay and system relay for good measure

A few details: I have led turn signals front and rear, and a badlands load equalizer wired in. It has all worked for months without issue. I relocated the ignition to the top of the tank like many others here, and it has worked for months without issue. When I pulled the tank dash to check the ignition, I double checked everything was plugged in.

The events leading up to this point involve me installing saddle bags. I had the bike on and off the lift for about a week with that project. I didn't have the FOB close to the bike the whole time, and I tripped the alarm a coupe of times.

My thoughts at this point: TSSM. I pulled the TSSM and visually inspected it. I can't see anything obviously wrong with it, but I have no idea how to test it. Could I have done something to the tip sensor? I had the jack under the bike several times. It seems unlikely this is the issue. I'm leaning towards the TSSM, but I'm not sure what else to check. With no odometer readout I can't check codes, or try to reset the TSSM. It's perplexing to have some electrical, but no odometer or blinkers specifically.

Any advice on what to check next is welcome. I don't have a Harley dealership in my town, but there are a few local shops that work on HD.

*EDIT*

I forgot to mention, I do hear the fuel pump kick on (pressurizing?) when the ignition is turned on and the switch is set to run. At least I think that's what I hear when I turn it on, right?

*EDIT 2*

I say TSSM, but I guess what I really have is the HFSM. My FOB doesn't have buttons. Once I walk away from the bike the alarm sets and the blinkers flash, at least it used to.

Old 04-20-2023, 03:46 PM
MotoMax
Stage II

My 2009 Superglide is doing the same thing. Did it turn our to be the TSSM? I don't have a button either on my FOB so I guess I have the HFSM? When I turn on my key I get lights and the fuel pump active, but no other electrical or odometer display. Was hoping you figured it out. . .