Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine Mechanical Topics (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics-46/)
-   -   2006 88" Cams question (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics/1019807-2006-88-cams-question.html)

jamess71 01-09-2015 10:31 AM

2006 88" Cams question

I'm about to change out my tensioner shoes with cyco and I think I'm going to change my cams. I bought my 2006 Electra Classic with the Crane 316 cams in it. I'm thinking of going to Andrews 21 or 26. My mileage sucks now, get right around 30 mpg. I also like a quieter bike than most. It had Rhinehart true duals that I swapped out for a stock header with no cat, and stock 2010 mufflers. So of the two Andrews cams 21 or 26 which one would give me a quieter exhaust and better mileage? The tuner is a Power Commander III and I won't have the $ for a dyno for a while. Thats another issue. How easy to tune, or at least get running decent, with just a map. Thank you.

Hillsidecycle.com 01-09-2015 12:25 PM

The 21 will make more, sooner, and the 26 will have the torque peak over to the right a bit.
The 26 really likes 9.4, 9.5 cr, though.
Scott

cdorsey50stang 01-09-2015 06:33 PM

Check out the S&S 509. I'm considering switching from tw21 to the 509 myself.

fidel 01-09-2015 08:52 PM

2006 ur head can handle the andrews 48

my choice

skills 10-12-2018 04:29 PM

Why aren't you considering gear timing and forget about all the inherent problems and servicing that come with chain timing? Even the upgrade tensioners can never live up to the durability of gears. The runout on my 06 electra was within allowable specs to go gear timed and to no surprise I can barely hear the difference at an idle and once rolling I honestly don't hear any cam gear drive sound, and these gears should by far out live any chain dive. If I had not changed out the stock trash before it failed, my 88 would have probably been destroyed by now. So while balls deep in correcting Harley's short coming (chain tensioners),it was only a few hundred bucks more to go with some nice performance cams. I went with 551 easy start S&S. On the dyno my stage 1 gave me 73.71 hp. and 76.36 torque. Add the 551's and I get 77.36 hp. and 92.51 torque. I'm not crazy about riding a deafening loud bike so my full length "out the back" pipes I have now are way nicer that my old softail with the shorty's. I really like my gears & 551's. Ask around mate,I bet you'd be satisfied with something like this

Screamin beagle 10-12-2018 06:10 PM

Gear drive solves the shoe problem but some people have a budget for upgrades. Po stated he won't have the cash for a dyno tune for awhile so it sounds unlikely that he'll blow out his budget to go gear drive. So since we're spending his money that he doesnt want to spend...im suggesting he pull out the 88" and buy an s and s 124". It's "only" a couple thousand more lol. Listen to scott, he's built a few motors, and you'll be fine for a long time with just replacing your shoes with some cycos.

skills 10-12-2018 07:26 PM

Well, I feel his pain. Took me seveal years to muster the play money to get my bike to where it is now and even then I had to spread it out and do a little at a time. Interesting you bring up an S&S engine, the thought crossed my mind too but here in B.C. Canada it would have been like 6K more to swap it out. Who was it that once said "The only thing that replaces cubic inches, - is more cubic inches". I'm an old automotive machinist (specializing in engine rebuilds back in the day) and I know whoever coined that phrase was right.
I punched out many Harley cylinders, shaved allot of heads and such back then and would daydream of my youth and early riding days as these bikers would come through the shop. All my wages would go into necessities. Now my business is no more, my kids are all grown up and gone,---most of my wives are all gone --and I finally have my hog! Life is good

DonnieM 10-13-2018 05:42 AM

I am very happy with the Andrews 21.

Hillsidecycle.com 10-13-2018 07:07 AM

Andrews 21's are a VERY good cam in an 88".
Scott

Kaycee 10-14-2018 11:17 AM

I use the Andys 26 in my 88 very good cam ,I also did the 06 cam plate and oil pump(used) from a newer bike hyd. tensioners and adj. pushrods ,PC 3(used) . .Shop around I got some parts from the forum and other places all for under $450 never could score a set of geardrives which was what I was wanting . Never have had it on a dyno never skipped a beat yet ,you can look up on there site for a map or e-mail them and they will set you up .