Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Details/Pics of new 95" engine build

Old 02-16-2015, 10:57 PM
dynawg1
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Details/Pics of new 95" engine build

Just buttoned up the new engine for my 2000 FXDWG.

Build goodies included:

Heads
Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads with 72cc "Dual Quench" combustion chamber
AV&V 1.94" intake/1.625" exhaust valves (AV&V 1.650" exhaust valves machined down to 1.625" head diameter)
AMS Newen radius valve seat machining
AV&V Compression releases installed directly in front of spark plugs (no burned fingers)
AV&V Guides/Seals
AV&V .650" lift Beehive springs
AMS ceramic coating on exhaust ports
Heads decked and CC'd to 72.1cc combustion chamber volume

Pistons/Cylinders
JE SRP Forged +.020' oversized 95 pistons
AMS 3-stage 3.895" bore and plateau hone
Cometic MLS .036" thickness headgaskets

Camchest/Valvetrain
Crane HTC-296-2GD gear drive cams
S&S gear drive kit
R&R gear drive camplate
HD 07-up oil pump
AMS (Johnson Hylift) SE lifters
GMR (Smith Brothers) 3/8 dia. .120" wall thickness pushrods
Crane 1.625 ratio forged roller rockers with S&S shafts & new HD supports

All machine work on heads and cylinders done by AMS in Fort Worth, TX (thanks Eric!).

These are the flow numbers Edelbrock published for the Performer RPM Heads:

@28" Hg:
Lift .100 .200 .300 .400 .500 .600
Int 69 136 192 233 265 275
Exh 60 111 150 170 183 193

Probably a bit better now with the Newen radius valve seat work by AMS.

Crank run out measured a smidge less than .0015" (factory forged crank with Timken bearing).

Engine combination calculates to 10.5:1 CR (195psi CCP) using the BigBoyz calculator.

Running with Mikuni 45mm carb, Bassani Pro Street pipes, and Zippers/Daytona Twin Tec TC88 ignition.

Now have 145 miles on the break-in and feels like it is going to be a very strong runner.

Attached Thumbnails Details/Pics of new 95" engine build-compression-release-install-ams.jpg   Details/Pics of new 95" engine build-combustion-chamber-2.jpg   Details/Pics of new 95" engine build-intake-port.jpg   Details/Pics of new 95" engine build-exhaust-port-with-ceramic-coating.jpg   Details/Pics of new 95" engine build-cam-chest.jpg  

Last edited by dynawg1; 02-16-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:03 PM
dynawg1
Tourer
Default More pics

A few more pics

Attached Thumbnails Details/Pics of new 95" engine build-beehive-valve-spring.jpg   Details/Pics of new 95" engine build-crane-roller-rockers.jpg   Details/Pics of new 95" engine build-je-piston-in-jug.jpg   Details/Pics of new 95" engine build-je-pistons-from-bottom.jpg   Details/Pics of new 95" engine build-cometic-mls-.036-headgasket.jpg  

Old 02-17-2015, 08:28 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Glad to see you got everything done! A very unique and technical build indeed. Are you going to get it dynoed after break in, would love to see what all those nice parts can do. Need a pic or two of the bike too!

Old 02-17-2015, 03:28 PM
dynawg1
Tourer

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Glad to see you got everything done! A very unique and technical build indeed. Are you going to get it dynoed after break in, would love to see what all those nice parts can do. Need a pic or two of the bike too!

Thanks Pilot. Bought a new compression gauge and am getting 199psi on both cylinders, indicating a 10.67:1 static CR with the Crane 296's intake close of 46 ABDC. My calculations using the BigBoyz calculator seem to have been off a little - came up with a calculated 195psi CCP and 10.5:1 CR using the measurements/specs. At least it is off to the good side = more bottom end!

I think the tune is in the ballpark. Runs very strong and smooth, starts easily, and the plugs look good. Plan to wait until it warms up a little to get it on the dyno. Thinking Lorenzo Brothers in New Braunfels for the dyno tune?

Will shoot some pics of the bike ASAP. I actually made a good video of the sound if I could just figure out how to post it here.

Last edited by dynawg1; 02-17-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:42 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Originally Posted by dynawg1
Thanks Pilot. Bought a new compression gauge and am getting 199psi on both cylinders, indicating a 10.67:1 static CR with the Crane 296's intake close of 46 ABDC. My calculations using the BigBoyz calculator seem to have been off a little - came up with a calculated 195psi CCP and 10.5:1 CR using the measurements/specs. At least it is off to the good side = more bottom end!
CCP is a bit on the high side for south Texas but not sure where you live/ride but if going to New Braunfels for a tune, thought maybe south Texas was your home.

Thinking Lorenzo Brothers in New Braunfels for the dyno tune?
That would be Lozano Brothers. You just missed "dyno day"; second Saturday of every month. Maybe next month you could show up and for $30 Mike will do a couple of pulls. Bring the necessary hardware to tune partial and WOT and after the first couple of pulls if you need to adjust jetting, you can make the adjustments and get it back on for another pull. I would suggest throwing in an extra $10 for the second run just because. Mike doesn't really "tune" carbureted bikes. He will check partial throttle and the chart will show AFR at WOT so the owner can make adjustments for another pull.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:40 PM
dynawg1
Tourer

Originally Posted by djl
CCP is a bit on the high side for south Texas but not sure where you live/ride but if going to New Braunfels for a tune, thought maybe south Texas was your home.

That would be Lozano Brothers. You just missed "dyno day"; second Saturday of every month. Maybe next month you could show up and for $30 Mike will do a couple of pulls. Bring the necessary hardware to tune partial and WOT and after the first couple of pulls if you need to adjust jetting, you can make the adjustments and get it back on for another pull. I would suggest throwing in an extra $10 for the second run just because. Mike doesn't really "tune" carbureted bikes. He will check partial throttle and the chart will show AFR at WOT so the owner can make adjustments for another pull.
Good info. Thanks djl. I do live in south Texas, a little to the west of Houston. If the compression proves to be a problem when the outside temps increase, I will go back to a .045" headgasket. Sure is fun having that stronger bottom end from the extra compression though.

I meant to say "Lozano" Brothers. I did not know that Mike does not tune carb bikes. What a change from 12 years ago when the tuner I used hated to tune FI bikes! I may try to ride there on the second Saturday of March if the weather cooperates.

Last edited by dynawg1; 02-17-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:03 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Good info. Thanks djl. I do live in south Texas, a little to the west of Houston. If the compression proves to be a problem when the outside temps increase, I will go back to a .045" headgasket. Sure is fun having that stronger bottom end from the extra compression though.

I meant to say "Lozano" Brothers. I did not know that Mike does not tune carb bikes. What a change from 12 years ago when the tuner I used hated to tune FI bikes! I may try to ride there on the second Saturday of March if the weather cooperates.
Mike is certainly capable of tuning a carbed bike but he will be the first to tell you that tuning a bike is all about the time required to tune and you can save some money by utilizing "dyno" day pull to dial in the carb. $30 for a few pulls; you can watch the AFR at partial throttle and the chart will show the AFR at WOT. Take the bike off the dyno, go make the adjustments to the carb (have you ever tuned a Mik carb before), put her back on the dyno to check partial and WOT again; rinse and repeat until you have it right. I tuned my all bore 107" with an SE44 CV carb this way; could have done it in one day but tore the diaphragm the first day and couldn't finish; 122TQ/110HP.

Mike will also tell you that while timing is important, you won't see major TQ/HP improvements by advancing/retarding timing once you have the ignition map close. Are you using the DTT dials or are you running a custom ignition map? If using the dials, where do you have them set? Let me know if you come up in March; I am usually there just to hang out, watch and have a burger. There are a few regulars that show up and all are very helpful and welcoming to newcomers. Print out your ignition map and bring it with you.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:48 PM
dynawg1
Tourer
Smile

Originally Posted by djl
Mike is certainly capable of tuning a carbed bike but he will be the first to tell you that tuning a bike is all about the time required to tune and you can save some money by utilizing "dyno" day pull to dial in the carb. $30 for a few pulls; you can watch the AFR at partial throttle and the chart will show the AFR at WOT. Take the bike off the dyno, go make the adjustments to the carb (have you ever tuned a Mik carb before), put her back on the dyno to check partial and WOT again; rinse and repeat until you have it right. I tuned my all bore 107" with an SE44 CV carb this way; could have done it in one day but tore the diaphragm the first day and couldn't finish; 122TQ/110HP.

Mike will also tell you that while timing is important, you won't see major TQ/HP improvements by advancing/retarding timing once you have the ignition map close. Are you using the DTT dials or are you running a custom ignition map? If using the dials, where do you have them set? Let me know if you come up in March; I am usually there just to hang out, watch and have a burger. There are a few regulars that show up and all are very helpful and welcoming to newcomers. Print out your ignition map and bring it with you.
djl - I definitely plan to be there March 14 (weather permitting) and was kinda hoping you might offer to meet me there. Thanks.

I have disassembled/reassembled the Mikuni a few times and assisted my old dyno guy with tuning many years back. Right now I have a 167.5 main jet and a 30 pilot jet in it. Pretty close on the tune but maybe a little fat. I will buy a Mikuni jet kit before March 14 to be ready.

The DTT's ***** are set at "2" for initial advance and "2" for the advance slope. I plan to get the USB cable next week and download/play with some curves on the PC. I will print out a few that work best before dyno day.

I look forward to meeting you and will give you a heads up as we get nearer to the big day.

Last edited by dynawg1; 02-18-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:00 AM
dynawg1
Tourer
Default Sound bite

I finally figured out how to post this video (I think):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SYy...ature=youtu.be

Old 02-19-2015, 10:39 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

djl - I definitely plan to be there March 14 (weather permitting) and was kinda hoping you might offer to meet me there. Thanks.

I have disassembled/reassembled the Mikuni a few times and assisted my old dyno guy with tuning many years back. Right now I have a 167.5 main jet and a 30 pilot jet in it. Pretty close on the tune but maybe a little fat. I will buy a Mikuni jet kit before March 14 to be ready.

The DTT's ***** are set at "2" for initial advance and "2" for the advance slope. I plan to get the USB cable next week and download/play with some curves on the PC. I will print out a few that work best before dyno day.

I look forward to meeting you and will give you a heads up as we get nearer to the big day.
I will plan to be there; Mike usually arrives about 9:00 and I will be there between 1000 and 1030. My carb tuning experience is limited to the OEM CV carbs, no experience with Mikuni's but sounds like you have a handle on that. I do have experience with DTT ignition and maps and run a conservative "custom" map on my 107" motor that is basically a tweaked 2/5 map. The way I set ignition with DTT is start initial at 2 and if not ping go to 3 and if no ping, go to 4, etc.; 2 seems to be a good place for initial. Rinse and repeat for the curve, keep bumping it up until she pings and then back off one. I believe your motor can take more than 2/2 and would bet that it will like a more aggressive advance curve. Try 2/5 and see what happens.

What kind of numbers are you expecting?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Details/Pics of new 95" engine build