Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine Mechanical Topics (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics-46/)
-   -   Axtell Oil By-Pass Valve. How High is your presssure? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engine-mechanical-topics/1040690-axtell-oil-by-pass-valve-how-high-is-your-presssure.html)

UltraDune 04-16-2015 09:05 AM

Axtell Oil By-Pass Valve. How High is your presssure?

Put one of these in when I did my 107 and cams etc. Also put in the Zippers tensioners. Since I used the stock cam plate they stated which spacer to use. Everything seems to be running fine, no noises etc but wondering if anyone else is running one of these, how high is your oil pressure? On cold start-up mine is pegged right around 32. When cruising in 5th/6th gear say 2500 rpm it looks closer to 50. I know the stock HD gauge probably isn't that accurate, but prior to the build at cruising rpm I was more in the 32 range. Am I getting normal oil pressure with this valve installed? Thanks.

r136dg 04-16-2015 07:45 PM

IMHO you're good. 50psi at cruising seems a bit high but if everything's in check as you say, I wouldn't sweat it. Curious if you're at full operating temps with that #. Oil weight & temps effect them.
As a reference (in summer), I run straight 50W dino, SE plate with the larger pump. On a hot day at full operating temps, idles 10 & cruising's 40.

djl 04-17-2015 01:27 PM

It is normal to see the oil pressure gauge hit 50-60psi on cold start with the bypass. However, you should see about 18-25 psi at hot idle and about 45psi at cruise. If you have questions, call Chaz at Axtell.

UltraDune 04-17-2015 04:11 PM

Thanks for the replys. Will keep an eye on it

prodrag1320 04-18-2015 06:36 AM

if your not having any oil pressure issues (and if you are,you should find the root of the problem),we don't recommend these "quick fix",spring,shim,ect products.

UltraNutZ 04-18-2015 07:33 AM

I agree with Kirby. I put the bypass spring (just because I could not because I needed it or were having issues) in and my oil pressures have always been at an uncomfortable 55 to 60 PSI according to my DD gauge.

Pulling it out in the next few days..

1Canuck 04-18-2015 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by prodrag1320 (Post 13929480)
if your not having any oil pressure issues (and if you are,you should find the root of the problem),we don't recommend these "quick fix",spring,shim,ect products.

why?

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ (Post 13929591)
I agree with Kirby. I put the bypass spring (just because I could not because I needed it or were having issues) in and my oil pressures have always been at an uncomfortable 55 to 60 PSI according to my DD gauge.

Pulling it out in the next few days..

why are you uncomfortable @ 55 to 60?

I have had the Baisley for 50k km or 30k of your miles. It eliminated the valve train noise and I have not seen any ill effects. runs 55 approx. above 2500 & about 20 hot idle. but we know every HD gauge reads different.
as for cold start, I had about 45 with stock.

so what is your concerns

UltraNutZ 04-18-2015 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by 1Canuck (Post 13930067)
why?

why are you uncomfortable @ 55 to 60?

I have had the Baisley for 50k km or 30k of your miles. It eliminated the valve train noise and I have not seen any ill effects. runs 55 approx. above 2500 & about 20 hot idle. but we know every HD gauge reads different.
as for cold start, I had about 45 with stock.

so what is your concerns

just figured if HD wanted your oil pressures that high, it would have put in the necessary components to do so from the start? Naive way of thinking maybe?

1Canuck 04-18-2015 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ (Post 13930070)
just figured if HD wanted your oil pressures that high, it would have put in the necessary components to do so from the start? Naive way of thinking maybe?

I submit my observation with stock bypass spring. warm ran around 30 and as the miles rolled on would drop to 15 at cruise. so what causes this? I decided it was the stock spring losing tension the hotter it gets. If it would have ran 30 all day I would not given it another thought. If the top end didn't chatter I would not have looked for a solution. Both are solved, works for me, your results may vary. still running stock lifters.

Stiggy 04-18-2015 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by 1Canuck (Post 13930087)
I submit my observation with stock bypass spring. warm ran around 30 and as the miles rolled on would drop to 15 at cruise. so what causes this? I decided it was the stock spring losing tension the hotter it gets. If it would have ran 30 all day I would not given it another thought. If the top end didn't chatter I would not have looked for a solution. Both are solved, works for me, your results may vary. still running stock lifters.

Mine runs a steady 32 all day long with a stock oil pump, plate and spring with 150,000 miles on the bike. So I guess if it aint' broke......

The only reason that I can think to run higher pressure is to circulate the oil quicker if you have a hot running engine. Aside from that, I suspect that it just makes the owners feel better (and that's important too.)