Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Pre "07 twin-cam with late oil pump

Old 06-24-2015, 08:03 PM
nevadarider
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pre "07 twin-cam with late oil pump

Just wanted to post this in case anyone might be going through the cam chest upgrade on a pre '07 twin cam. I put in the HD Hybrid camplate/oil pump w'hydraulic chain tensioner kit last winter when I bumped motor to 95". Had a few issues that I resolved but am still dealing with this one. While doing the build, I installed the Baisley bypass valve spring (the weaker of the two offered) and the Precision Ground bypass valve that Zippers offers. I ended up with oil pressure that appears to be 45 to 47 lbs at temp while cruising at about 3k rpm. I thought that maybe that pressure might be harmful so i emailed Baisley about it. I received word from Dan Baisley that he hasn't seen any damage caused buy that pressure but I wondered if it may cause the hydraulic shoes to wear too fast as they might be pushing on the cam chain too hard.
So, I ordered the spring kit from ERT Products. The directions tell you that one spring will give 0 to 10 lbs at 2k rpm, another 10 to 20 lbs at 2 k, and the third spring 20 or more lbs at 2k rpm. So, I tried the one for 20 or more as I am targeting 35 lbs at cruising speed. Well, I got ii together and had even higher oil pressure than before, about 50 lbs at 3k rpm when warmed up and cruising.
I'm not comfortable with that pressure and not happy about having to go in there again. Mostly because my 2 into 1 exhaust is difficult to remove/replace by myself, but am going to do it anyway. I think I am going to put the stock spring back in and hopefully get my target 35 lbs.
I will post results when done.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:11 PM
dynawg1
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why did you/are you messing around with the spring? Just make sure that the bore and seat of the pressure relieve valve cylinder in the camplate are clean of burrs and imperfections, install the spring that came with the camplate, ensure that it is moving freely and seating soundly, button it back up, and ride safely.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:20 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts

As hot as it is out there, I would also be concerned at what it is at idle. You want to keep it below piston oil injectors relief springs which are set to 12-18 lbs. The engine can take more short time idle heat then the oil can take... If both your timing chains are roller, once the outer chain link grooves in, the chain will roll and stop wearing. (older roller chains in 22R Toyota's had hard rubber tensioners and never wore out) If you still have the inner link one, you are correct. That one with a hydraulic tensioner has too much load on it with the stock 35lb relief spring.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:53 PM
nevadarider
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I proceeded with the spring swap this morning. I put the spring that came installed in the hybrid plate back in. Even though the spring looks like it may have come out of a PEZ Head dispenser, it is running the pressure about right. My gauge looks like it is about 35 to 37 lbs at temp at 3k rpm and drops to maybe 15 at idle, so it should be good. I'll watch it the rest of the season to see if it remains in that range. The pictures that ripsaw posted are pretty scary, so I'm grateful that I decided to go back in and post on here about it. Thanks both of you guys AGAIN, RIPSAW and dynawg1 for your input.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:10 PM
dynawg1
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are most welcome. Happy riding.