Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Valve train noise Fuel Moto 107 S & S lifters & pushrods

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 03:14 PM
bteski
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Valve train noise Fuel Moto 107 S & S lifters & pushrods

I just completed my Fuel Moto 107 build, exhaust is Fuel Moto ceramic coated 2-1-2 with jackpot 4" mufflers, Woods TW 777 cams, screaming eagle needle bearings, stock cam plate & tensioners, S&S premium lifters, S&S standard pushrods, level B heads, high comp pistons. new oil filter with Harley dino 20-50 for break in. Harley Agitator breather. The push rods are 32 thread per inch & I adjusted four turns from zero lash per instructions. oil pressure runs from 28-42 psi depending on rpm & temp & it seems maybe road speed or gear selection. Under a light load or @ different times I have a sound like a ball peen hammer not real loud & not necessarily @ idle when the oil pressure is 10-15 pds. I readjusted the valves & no change. My initial thoughts are lifter adjustment & it sounds like one not all. I read lots of good things about the S&S premium lifters so not sure where to turn from here. I thought about putting in the screaming eagle cam plate with the high volume pump but not sure that would help. The other strange thing that happens is @ 3000 rpm's I might have 32 psi oil pressure then @ the same rpm it might be 40 psi, I can't correlate the noise to any particular oil pressure, engine rpm ect, I can hear it the most when the motor starts to get under a load. I also have my power vision mounted for now on the handle bars.
any help would be appreciated.
Thx Bob

Old 07-15-2015, 03:21 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

More than likely the stiffer valve springs.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:47 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,810 Likes on 3,315 Posts

You have a big cam with high comp pistons, more heat and more expansion. Give the pushrods 4 more flats each and tell us what happens...

Old 07-15-2015, 05:49 PM
bteski
Tourer

98hotrodfatboy I assume you are talking about 4 turns from zero lash + 4 more flats for a total of 28 flats instead of 24 flats. I read where some people have done + 3 but did not see anything that said that it solved their problem. I will try that before I go to the local Harley dealers bike nite tomorrow evening
1 1/2 hrs away.
Thx Bob

Old 07-15-2015, 05:56 PM
bteski
Tourer

After driving it after work today the sound is more pronounced after it warms up & definitely above idle when you start to put a load on the drive train right up thru acceleration then the pipes get louder so it is harder to hear. I have done all of the adjustments cold approx 90 degrees.
Thx Bob

Old 07-15-2015, 06:18 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Had the same issues with the woods 555's used stock, woods directional's & S&S premiums lifters. two different sets of push rods, new rocker arms. install oil pump shim, tried different weight oils no change. drove me nuts, swapped out the woods cams to S&S cams noise level is now acceptable. built a friends 107 same fuelmoto setup as yours with the 777's its quieter than stock. Have seen several other builds some are quite and some make a little valve train noise. looks like just the nature of the beast.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:29 PM
bteski
Tourer

I think it's a lifter problem now sometimes @ idle it will drop out the rear cylinder, head temp around 290 - 300 degrees, oil pressure 10-15 pds.
ETMS turned off so it's not that. I think a lifter is collapsing. I am going to call S&S in the morning & see what they suggest then I am going to install the stock ones I pulled out to test everything. Go figure just My luck.
Thx Bob

Old 07-15-2015, 10:55 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

you adjusted pushrods on the cams base circle right?

Old 07-15-2015, 11:02 PM
bteski
Tourer

you adjusted pushrods on the cams base circle right? Oh yeah!!!!! lol
Thx Bob

Old 07-16-2015, 05:34 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

I'd contact the multi-decade experienced engine building pros at fm.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record