Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Back on the Road

Old 11-14-2015, 07:59 AM
CVOBagger
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back on the Road

My 2006 FLHTCUSE is back on the road. First a little history.

Four years ago with the 25k on the bike the engine became very noisy. Local HD shop told me it was lifters and run it till it failed. I decided they would not be working on my bike so I took matters into my own hands and updated the cam cavity. Went with Woods 555 cam and lifters, S&S pushrods, new HD cam plate, hyd tensioner, oil pump and inner bearings. Scott Palmer from Hillside Cycles recommended I bump of the compression with that cam. I'm glad he did because when he received my heads he discovered the rear cylinder exhaust valve was bent and had been that way since day one. Almost 3/4 of the valve had never touched the seat. After I got the motor back together it sounded good and ran OK. Was picking up spark knock at 55 MPH. I now know the tuner I used didn't have a clue. He got it better but still wasn't right when I shipped the bike to Germany June 2012. In almost the three years I was in Europe I put 24k on the bike. Spark knock wasn't quite as bad. I think this was because of cooler temps and better gas. I had a lifter that was noisy when cold but it would quiet up after a few minutes. Didn't have the tools to do the work myself and wasn't about to pay outrageous prices German's charge. Plan was to correct it when I got back in the winter. I moved back this May. Bike showed up with the household goods in July. Had it back on the road immediately. Early October I was heading to Maggie Valley to meet a friend. Just outside Petersburg VA I began picking up a mild surge. Pulled over and heard a grinding noise. Got the bike towed to Colonial HD. They opened the cam compartment and found a trashed lifter. They immediately offered me $6500 for the bike when I mentioned I really liked the new RG. I told them I'd have to think about it. On the ride home I decided to take the bike to Hillside Cycle and have Scott repair it.

Result: 103 CVO motor with new cases, 583 gear drive cam, S&S lifters, Fueling cam plate, new oil pump, crank trued by Darkhorse Crankworks, Hillside stage 1 head work, intake opened to 50MM and tune done by Joe's Cycle Repair. Picked the bike up last weekend. Rode it to work most of this past week. What a difference!!! With OAT in the 50's, oil temp would always be in 230-240 range. The highest I've see so far is 218 with 70 OAT. The bike has never had the oil pressure it has now. Very little mechanical noise coming fro the motor. Has to be the quietest TC I've ever seen. Running Fullsac baffles in my stock CVO slip-ons. Stock header pipes have been jet hot coated inside and out. After looking at the attached dyno sheet you'll see why this bike is such a hoot to ride. A big shout out to Hillside Cycle and Joe's Cycle Repair. Thanks for the great work and getting it done in time for some late fall riding.

Attached Thumbnails Back on the Road-2015-11-11-051256..jpg   Back on the Road-img_0461.jpg   Back on the Road-img_0462.jpg  
Old 11-14-2015, 10:04 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

A big shout back to you Jim, to have us, attend to your bike.
Glad your enjoying the "new" bike....hehe.
Pure pleasure to do business with a gentleman as yourself!
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:42 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,787 Likes on 3,302 Posts

Wow, never seen a lifter skirt break like that. What brand was that?

Glad to hear your in the road again. I assure you it is now a worry free ride....

Old 11-14-2015, 03:07 PM
CVOBagger
6th Gear

98hotrodfatboy...Woods lifter

Old 04-16-2016, 06:33 AM
CVOBagger
6th Gear
Default Update

I now have close to 2k miles on the motor. Weather is finally nice enough to ride the bike to work every day (30 miles one way.) Converted to Amsoil this week. Couldn't be happier how the motor runs. More than enough power and torque for me. Looking forward to June when the wife and I hit the road for a week with trailer in tow.

The only negative...can't get better than 33 MPG, and that's making sure I never go above 3k RPM on a tank. If it was bar hopper I wouldn't care. But when you hit the road for a 600 mile trip and have to start looking for gas after 140 miles it gets old. 200 miles between fill ups is ideal for me. Especially when travelling with riders who get mid to upper 40 MPG with some having 6 gallon tanks. I was hoping I'd see at least low 40's. I have a few friends who ride baggers with motors significantly stronger than mine and get mid 40's with their spouse on the back. Curious to see what I get in June.